98 ABS issues and questions

mongolio

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got the actron scanner and it says that all 4 sensors have failed. I find this hard to believe. Pulled the fender skirt and the connector on the module appears in good shape, not burned or melted. Pulled the module off the body and there appears to be minimal corrosion underneath on the tips. Does the pump cycle on key on engine off? Checked voltage on pump connection to module and there's about 7.5 volts but the pump doesnt seem to run. Not sure if it's supposed to. Possible that all 4 sensors are fubar? Module flaked? Not blowing any fuses and abs/Trac light comes on when it does it's test when it gets to a certain speed. Think it's 20mph? Asking the masters for guidance. Thank you all for your time.

abs/Trac light comes on when it does it's test when it gets to a certain speed. Think it's 20mph?

usually means the abs pump is not spinning. it cycles the pump at 20 mph. if it doesn't see activity, it fails the self test.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the pump motor is sealed with the impeller or is there a coupling. Wondering if I can pull the motor without compromising the integrity of the hydrolic system. Also should the motor run at 12 volts or is it regulated lower by the controller?

the pump motor is sealed. it is replaceable as a unit. rock auto had some. i have replaced mine. if you pull the motor everything gets full of air. not fun to get it all out.

what is this actron scanner and how do i get one/ how do i find out which one of my sensors are bad?

You can get a basic scan tool from your local auto parts store. Autozone carries them I think. That's where I got mine. I got the most basic one though, it just shows you the code, and lets you clear them.

well i checked at autozone and their cheapest one that scans ABS codes ( they said) is 200$ kinda sucks.

Well there is the Actron CP9449. It scans the ABS system on OBD2 vehicles. If you're looking to save money, you could get that. Problem is, ABS is ALL it does.

$71.19 on amazon right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9449...1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1340001426&sr=1-11

If you're looking for a more complete unit, the cheapest Actron that does ABS and also the regular CEL stuff, that's going for $152.72.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9580..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1340001426&sr=1-1

Hope this'll help.

Members online

Back