'97 Town Car - Leaking Intake, Rusty Brake Lines, and a Check Air Suspension Light

mtd240

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

NOTE: I am a Volvo guy, I know 240s and the B230F engine better than the back of my hand...but I don't know the slightest thing about these Town Cars. This is my mom's car.

1997 Lincoln Town Car. 293,000 miles. Everything runs great!!

My dad just put the car in the shop to have the trans/diff gaskets replaced - shop comes back with the three problems listed in the title.

Questions:
1.I took a look at the intake manifold, and read a few threads on here and "autoclinx". The car still drives great - but there is indeed coolant slowly seeping out of a few of the intake runners. How should I proceed with this? I think we still have the "plastic" intake - how do I tell? What parts will I need to buy, to "replace while I am in there"?

2.Rusty brake lines - how simple are the brakes on this car? Can I just pull of the lines with a flare wrench, install new lines, and bleed the system via bleeder screws on the calipers? I am guessing it isn't *quite* as simple as the Volvo..

3."Check Air Suspension" light comes on when driving. They checked the code, but said it needs a "multi point" test (if I am remembering correctly). The rear end of the car sags if you leave it for a while - has done this for a long time. A friend of mine mentioned it could be some valve in the suspension - what should I be looking for here?
I realize that the "replace this while your in there" could go a little crazy with a high mileage car - but please be thorough with your descriptions/recommendations anyway. I like doing things the right way, with OEM parts, so everything works as designed and lasts as long as the original part did (or longer :p)

If I am repeating the information in any other threads - feel free to rebuke me and post a link!

All advice is greatly appreciated.

I posted this on "lincolnforums.com" also - I don't know which of these forums is more commonly visited..

Mike

Replace the intake, you will need an intake and the gaskets. Brake lines should not be harder than the volvo, as long as you have access to a ford brake welder and a 180 degree mandrel bend socket. The rear end is probably sagging because the bags are leaking. You can replace the airbags for relatively cheap if you do it yourself (if I remmember its like 100 per bag, maybe cheaper) and the intake I think ran me somewhere around 200 when I did mine. The brake lines should really be straightforward. Just remmember to flip the air suspension switch to off when you lift the car.

Members online

Back