97 mk viii fuel tank

F4-U

LVC Member
Reaction score
What's holding the fuel tank besides the 2 tank straps? They are off, the trans jack has about a 2" gap under the tank, but that dam thing will not move. It's like it is glued to the floor or there is more than the 2 straps holding it in. It is solid enough i would not be afraid to drive it without the straps.

Yes it was glued to the floor. The 4 foam pieces Ford has on the top of the tank had vulcan mind melded themselves to the floor. Anyone else , you are going to have to get "aggressive" ie prybar. Then there is the matter of the vent hose Ford has encircling the drive shaft o_O. Since the clamps were turned in such a manner as to prohibit getting any type of tool on them to remove the hose, had to cut it. Pick a spot easy to fix.

Now, the fuel pump basket is stuck the the floor of the tank. No doubt 25 years of ethanol mixed gasoline has welded the rubber feet.

One thing I can add is I had my fuel tank sending unit replaced with an aftermarket one that looked identical to the OEM. The factory sending unit was spot on with MPG readings while the new one is about 2 - 2.3 mpg short on an accurate MPG reading. If I had to do it again, I would flip over rocks to find a NOS Ford sending unit. Live & learn. Glad your getting the tank job moving along. The shop that did mine made no mention of any problems getting it done.

Apparently the fuel pump assy is also obsolete. Which i was going to put a bigger unit in anyway. I have heard soooo many different versions as to what pump to use. Looks like 96-98 Cobra is the closest, but still needs modifications to fit.

Members online

Back