97 Mark 8 headlight question

DandyDon

LVC Member
Reaction score
The low beams on my Mark died :slam ; first on the driver's side, then about a week later, on the passenger's side. The local dealer has checked it out and claims it will cost ~$2,000 to fix. I loved the low beams, but that's way more than I want to spend to repair them. (I've gotten around the problem of blinding on-coming drivers by cranking down the high beams. Works, but not the way I want to go.) I'm wondering if the dealer doesn't know what he's talking about, or if there is a way to install another lighting package to replace the lows.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

well this all depends did you blow the ballasets up front? or just the bulbs? gotta find out. it is going t cost a minimum of 300 to fix this tho. to my knowledge there is no way to succesfully change the cars lighting design.
Eric

Headlight Problem

DandyDon said:
The low beams on my Mark died :slam ; first on the driver's side, then about a week later, on the passenger's side. The local dealer has checked it out and claims it will cost ~$2,000 to fix. I loved the low beams, but that's way more than I want to spend to repair them. (I've gotten around the problem of blinding on-coming drivers by cranking down the high beams. Works, but not the way I want to go.) I'm wondering if the dealer doesn't know what he's talking about, or if there is a way to install another lighting package to replace the lows.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
I just purchased a Xeno/HID conversion kit for my 1995 Mark VIII on EBay for $285.00 and it includes everything required to convert to a Xenon/HID so it seems to me that this would resolve your problem as well.

Good luck with it.

markviiidriver said:
I just purchased a Xeno/HID conversion kit for my 1995 Mark VIII on EBay for $285.00 and it includes everything required to convert to a Xenon/HID so it seems to me that this would resolve your problem as well.

Good luck with it.
so your the one who took it from me, i hate you! jk!

DandyDon said:

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

DD --

You can buy the factory low beam HID replacements from Max at Five Star Ford. He's the best! The replacements run about $163.00 each plus the usual taxes and shipping. Just e-mail Max at parts@fivestarford.com. Its the best price ANYWHERE (even better than Ford Parts Network, like the instructuons below say). Beats what your local Make-you-squeal-ership service department quoted you. OUCH!!! :slam

The following is a link to detailed step-by-step replacement instructions. I haven't tried them yet, but it looks as though someone with a little bit of wrenching skill could do the fix in around an hour per side. The instructions are courtesy of a member of the Mark VII.org website.

www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22757

I have to do my street side low beam, its going out but not gone. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up. Good Luck!

Markviiiedrea said:
so your the one who took it from me, i hate you! jk!
I just had a conversatoin with another LvC'er about if we accidentally outbid eachother on Ebay for Lincoln stuff? How many of the sellers are actually from here?

DandyDon said:

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
For a little over 600.00 you could have brand new HID's

markviiidriver said:

Good luck with it.

One thing you should do is check with the local lawdogs to make sure it is legal. Most of those kits are quoted 'for off road use only!'

Secondly, it is not the bulbs that are the problem, but the reflector inside the housing, and the housing itself.

I hope it works.....let us know and post some pix.....
:Beer

1wykdmk8 said:
One thing you should do is check with the local lawdogs to make sure it is legal. Most of those kits are quoted 'for off road use only!'

Secondly, it is not the bulbs that are the problem, but the reflector inside the housing, and the housing itself.

I hope it works.....let us know and post some pix.....
:Beer

I get pulled over for my headlights all the time and have to explain that the car came that way...

k9t8m said:
Cubster said:
For a little over 600.00 you could have brand new HID's[/QUOTE

600 per side, Which makes is $1200. :L

for both, call this guy about them 1-508-588-1783, thats the price he quoted me !!!!

Thanks for all the good responses. I don't know if it's the ballasts or just the bulbs, but I'm presuming that it's the ballasts given the way both lights died. When I had it diagnosed at the dealers they said $2k but didn't say what they thought the problem was. Some diagnosis!! If anyone knows an easy way to determine if the ballasts are good or not, I'm all ears.

I was hoping that I could do something simple, like by-pass the ballasts, bring 12V directly to the sockets and replace the bulds with something similar to the high beams.

Members online

No members online now.
Back