97 LSC, gear lever signal error/cannot manually select any gears

Bangster

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Are the two things related? I would sometimes get the gear lever signal error and the dash wouldn't show I was in drive, but now it seems to be that way 90% of the time.

I also found I can no longer manually physically select first or second. I can lock out OD with the button. If I try to manually select first or second it just thinks it is in OD (or D if I lock out OD). It also seems like it is short shifting at half throttle (but not at leisurely pace or WOT).

Obviously there is one more part to the story...For as long as I have owned the car if I manually select second or lock out OD (or both) then I would get a flashing transmission OD disabled light, and the code is for the transmission overheating, which it does this from a cold start no matter what. I replaced the TFT and that didn't help, I didn't see anything wrong with the internal wiring or the connector, but didn't check very closely the body harness to the connector.

When I got the car the transmission was hurting. It would freewheel on upshift if I let off the gas, it would try to skip second frequently. I resolved all those issues with doing the JMod, replacing the accumulator pistons, leaving out all the springs, and replacing worn pressure valve, boost valve, and...some other valve/spring/needle in the valve body. That was 30k miles ago.

My cigarette lighter also stopped working at the same time. No I haven't looked at the fuses it has been 110 degrees and I can't use the oven mitts I drive with to the grip the fuses.

Well my first thought is the neutral safety switch. A rather common failure point. They are not sealed well, the new ones will have a red rubber gasket.

hmm, I guess I can sorta manually select second gear, but there isn't compression braking, it semi freewheels, semi feels like it remains in OD or D, but if I give it enough throttle when manually it is in second and upshifting happens manually.

I have a CEL on, and might be for the transmission. It isn't only giving me second or a pair of gears like a shift solenoid, I need to dig into it sometime soon.

I use manual second for some rough curved expansion joint on/off ramps that are flat and at some points negatively banked. If I touch the brakes bad things happen, but engine braking keeps things nice and allow me to power through the apex instead of coasting.

Members online

No members online now.
Back