97 Conti keeps overheating

napoleon1072

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Changed the water pump, radiator, thermostat but still overheats. It's full of coolant and the head gaskets were checked and are fine any ideas? The shop told me to take it to another shop Monday who specializes in this kind of thing because they're stumped but I'd like to know what I might be looking at thanks

air bubble maybe? will the heat blow hot when its on? Also are the electic fans coming on when it gets hot?

If the heat is blowing hot then the waters circulating, no air in the system the water pump is working and the T stat is opening. Theat would make me think the fans are not working.

If the heat out of your vents do not get hot, then it could be air in the system, bad water pump, or stuck tstat.

If you pull the x over fill cap off you can see if coolant is flowing thru the system

Air blows hot, there was air in the system and they said the air gets hot which is why it was saying it overheated but it kept doing it after they tried to get all the air out. My dad drove the car after it came out of the shop around town for an hour or two before it overheated on the way home. They said the water pump was working but I don't know what else could be the problem, and am not looking forward to another big repair bill and hope it's something under warranty that has previously been replaced

I have to ask how did you refill the radiator? If you refilled by only filling the coolant reservoir, you are doing it wrong. you need to refill only using the fill tube - the plug with the 1/4 inch square hole. Once you fill the proper way there are no more bubbles blocking your coolant circulation. Yes, drain out to the bottom of the coolant reservoir, put it back together, leave the cap off or loose to breathe, remove the fill tube plug and pour in nice and slow. The level will come up into the reservoir and you can see it. Do not over tighten the fill tube plug.

The fans do not come on the cars temperature is normal on the highway but it starts to over heat when in stop and go traffic. The fluids have been put in by loosening the tube and pouring coolant into it. Is the fans the only thing it could be?

How about the sending unit? Have you verified it is actually HOT or does the gauge say hot? Maybe change the sending unit.

Fans should come on with it just sittiing and running. Even if its 10 degree's out they will kick on within 10 minutes. You will hear the car pick the load up when they come on. Starting to sound like the fans are not coming on to me.
Might sound dumb, did they plug them back in?

smiley-signs011.gif

Shop that I got sent to says they've been trying to figure it out all day the radiator is good, the fans kicked on for them, but the top hose is red hot and the bottom hose is cold. They think it might be a defective thermostat and are going to replace it tomorrow to see if that works.

Members online

Back