97-98 HID Headlights story please

AggieMKVIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
Can someone give the story of the HID headlights, why to change them before they fail, what to do when they fail, options for keeping them, etc. ?I've seen multiple write-up's on changing them, they are insanely expensive, etc., but I would like the backstory, the "why" surrounding these Gen 2 M8 headlights. I'm a newbie to M8's but definitely not to auto maintenance or repairs in general. I've done engines, transmissions, steering, suspension, brakes and more when younger, but rusty now. Thanks in advance.

Basicaly, Ford made only 30K 97-98 Mark VIII' plus a few late model 96's with these one of a kind Philips low beam HID bulbs. They worked OK but once they burn out, there is no direct replacements. I wrote a how to article on how to put the plentiful china HID bulbs in the car but the quality of those HIDs were terrible. I updated the article with my last installment of using China 9006 LED bulbs that are by far the easiest install and they are clearl;y the brightest low beam LED's out there for an inexpensive price. Some one handy can easily install a pair going by my direction here at the last installment. As you will see, it was a long learning experience for me to get to the easiest fix. Good Luck with it.

Thank you for the info. So, am I correct that there is no plug-and-play solution available at any cost? Not that anyone would choose to stay with stock once the cost exceeds about $100. Are there high and low beam HID bulbs in each housing (4 bulbs total for the car)? Is there a plug-and-play option that is a direct replacement for stock but maybe doesn't do a great job but could suffice in a pinch? Is the low beam the only one that is HID? Sorry for all the questions, but I am wheelchair bound and trying to plan in advance for the inevitable headlight failure. I will have to direct my wife or teenage boys in the repair. Scary thought!: -(

About 5 years ago I bought 9006 led from theheadlightexperts.com . Unplug the ballist and plug the bulb in. But you still have to fit the bulb to the housing. They are better then the originals, you may have to adjust them down a little so not to blind oncoming cars.

About 5 years ago I bought 9006 led from theheadlightexperts.com . Unplug the ballist and plug the bulb in. But you still have to fit the bulb to the housing. They are better then the originals, you may have to adjust them down a little so not to blind oncoming cars.
That is good to know. Thank you.

The high beams are off the self halogens at any auto parts store. Ford's "better idea" on the low beams are the only lighting problem. As I said earlier, the fix is at the end of my article. If you have done mechanical work in the past, it would be a piece of cake to hook up good LED low beams that will last a long time.

Members online

Back