96 Continental electrical vs. transmission problem?

hjo

New LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, here we go.....(my very first post so please bear w/me)

I have a 96 Continental that decided it doesn't want to go forward or it only creeps while in drive no matter how far the gas pedal is pressed. At first, reverse worked just fine. Now even reverse is a bit sluggish. I REALLY don't think it's the tranmission - perhaps electrical? When I put it in reverse, the sound of changing gears is normal but when I put it in any other gear I hear this plasticish-sounding click from what seems to be underneath the steering wheel. It did something quite similar a few months ago but recovered on its own after about 15 starts and restarts. It also had an electrical problem a few months ago where the blinkers wouldn't work. The mechanic I took it to remedied the problem by leaving the hazard light button pushed down - it makes the blinkers work.

Any ideas from you guys would be GREATLY appreciated.

i don't really have any ideas as this seems complicated. When was the fuel filters/spark plugs/wires etc replaced? Maybe you should take it to a transmission shop for a lookover. I know it might cost a little bit but it would be good peace of mind.

What do you think about this?????

Any chance of it being the powertrain control module?

i dunno. Possibly. If the car is actually running then the PCM is at least doing part of its job. Take it to Autozone and get them to pull any codes from the computer. Its free at least.

Members online

No members online now.
Back