96 Black STS. might want to sell her!!!!!!

NashBridges

New LVC Member
Reaction score
OK for starters yes she still has a blowen head gasket. but other than that id say the car is an 8 to 9 out of 10. Has 150,000mi. on it Black on Black. What do you fellow members think a car like this would be worth with this head gasket issue??

IMHO not as much as one would think, only because of that head gasket issue.
I recently turned down a 2 car deal because of blown head gaskets. They were a 94 conti and a 96 Nissan 626 both for $650.

Sure the head gaskets can be replaced for about $1000 each, but you'll never know how much water got into the heads, you'll never know if any water caused rust, and how much rust there is.

I went through the hassle of replacing a head gasket once, and I'll never do it again simply because the engine still blew. I'm only 1 person putting in my $.02, so you can expect more answers that will sway your way.

Future said:
I went through the hassle of replacing a head gasket once, and I'll never do it again simply because the engine still blew. I'm only 1 person putting in my $.02, so you can expect more answers that will sway your way.

Same here, I recently helped my brother with a 3.8L Ford motor that blew a head gasket and I told him flat out that I could fix it (although the new bolts are outrageously priced) for not too much cash in parts, but that I could not guarantee that he did not score a bearing with the coolant running around through the oiling system. Essentially, unless I am the one that blew a gasket and knew 100% that it was only for a few moment of running before it was shut down, I would not do the repair. Seen many examples of spun bearings shortly after a head gasket repair. Whomever buys it is taking a chance, not to mention the chance of warped heads.

My Mustang spun a bearing shortly after the head gasket went out. I would consider the minimum of a junkyard engine replacement.

No water is getting into the engine. It just seeps a little bit of combustions into the cooling system. Its a very odd problem cuz u can drive the car normally forever!! Week even!! But as soon as you put ur foot down it will just seep a little bit of air in. And when you shut it off it will burp some coolant out of the tank.

The car isn't worth much. Consider this, a new Northstar is about 7 grand. With a running Northstar, the car isn't worth 7 grand.

NashBridges said:
No water is getting into the engine. It just seeps a little bit of combustions into the cooling system. Its a very odd problem cuz u can drive the car normally forever!! Week even!! But as soon as you put ur foot down it will just seep a little bit of air in. And when you shut it off it will burp some coolant out of the tank.

You can almost be posative that if you're still driving it, a head is cracked and taking in water. It doesn't have to be anything more than a hairline to screw ya.
I was able to drive my acura with a bad HG and a cracked head, but the engine was toast. Eventually you'll see her start to just stall out, and thats when you know it's over. Only thing left is a new engine or a phone call to the local junk yard for a pick-up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back