96-97 TC vs. 98-99 TC. Which do you prefer?

FourCamJam

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been registered here for a long time, but mostly lurked. Spent some time here when I had my '94 Mark VIII, but hardly any since.

Currently, I have an '04 Mustang GT, that I'm looking to get rid of. Any excuse not to drive it, I'll take, I'm sure you've been there... it's in very good shape, I just don't like it anymore.

Anyway- I want to get back in the Panther game. I've had 2 Grand Marquis, a '95 and a '97. (Plenty of Panthers in the family over time- my dad had an '88 TC Cartier some time ago, currently an '04 LX Sport)

This time, I want to move up to the Town Car. If not that- a P71 (because of my Siberian Husky).

My budget is maximum $2500, so I'm not expecting a miracle, just the best car I can find for the $. Hence, the year range I'm in.

I am aware of the technical stuff with these cars- intakes leaking coolant that need replaced, rear air ride failing, 1-2 accumulator on 96-97, the 98+ Watt's link and bigger brakes, etc.

What I'm really looking for is impressions on how these cars drive. If you've driven a 96-97 and a 98-99, what did you like- and dislike- about each? Between the two, if you could have only one, which would you take?

I prefer the interior of the 95-97 but I think now I like the exterior of 98-02
The 95-97 are much lighter so even with more horse power in markviiiedra's 01 I still was faster than him.
(Both high milage cars)
I can't pick one over the other
When I went to replace my 95 I went with how I could get the most for my money so I ended up with a 96.

When I first made the transition from 95-97 to 98-12 model I felt like I was driving around in a plastic toy car... I personally think the earlier car was built like a tank... I loved everything about it. Now I have an cherry 03... its a great car.. I dont know if I finally just got use to the looks of the round body or if its improved.... but im sure for 2500 you could buy a beautiful earlier model... I read somewhere to stay away from 97 because ford cheapened them to transition to the 98's Model although I had a couple and dont remember having issues with them... but remember they were basically only a few years old at the time..

Keith Roy Falcone
Orlando florida

From my Grand Marquis experience (had a '95 and a '97), there was some decontenting, but it showed up in very minor ways- no Mercury emblem on the C-pillar, and slightly thinner carpet. At that time it was happening across practically all of Ford's vehicle lines. For example, '97 Mark VIII had that nice "InTech" alternator cover, '98 did not; '96 Grand Marquis had an engine beauty cover, '97 did not.

I wouldn't call that reason to stay away per se, especially since these cars are at least 16 years old- what does a missing doo-dad here and there really count for at this point, anyway?

'03+ are especially nice thanks to the new front frame and rack and pinion steering. The only way I can get into an 03+ Panther is a well-worn Police Interceptor and that's very risky, at best.

So far, the consensus I'm getting is to buy the best example I can find.

I prefer the 95-97 face lift model it has the 4.6, beautiful interior, and the exterior it looks like a pre face lift and I have always liked the 1st and 2nd gen town car than the third but it's my opinion im no expert I have always liked the 2nd gen the best :leghumper

98+ preferably I think they started adding side airbags in 99' since my 98' doesn't have them. The 95-97 have very thin steel in the body panels. I'm not sure about other models, but my Cartier came with dual piston calipers and 12.8" front brakes and true dual exhaust. I also used to have a 97' Mark VIII.

I have a 99 Touring, which to me has a better exterior but I like the interior better on the 96-97s. I currently have 155,000 the only thing I had to do was replace the intake which I think I bought online with supporting parts for $190. The previous owner had replaced the air suspension with springs. I got tried of looking at the air suspension light on so I bought new air bags off eBay for $90 a pair. Just keep that in mind if you purchase one to keep about $300 for those two repairs. My only other complaint is the front leg room. I'm 6'3 and the center cup hold sometimes gets in the way of my right knee.

I'm on the fence, I like the sub frames on the 03 and up but prefer the styling on the 98-02. 96-97 have a better interior and run 400 lbs lighter. My next one will likely be an 06 or a 97 depending on my situation and whats out there.

Members online

Back