96 & 97 STS Moonroof

steinmetzmr

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My 1996 STS power moonroof is acting a bit funny. It travels back and stops no problem. However when it travels foward it goes past the closed stop and goes straight to the vent position. My father-in-law just bought a 97 STS same exact situation. Can this be fixed by a simple adjustment? Or do I have to buy a whole new motor assembly? :(

are you sure you aren't holding the button for too long. if you continue to hold the button forward while closing it it will go past the closed postion and right to the vent position, at least i've found that with mine.

Ditto-

Limiter Switch Seems to be a common issue. My mom-in-laws 97 has it go 3 times in 5 years. She was a heavy smoker and used the roof all the time. Funny the local GMC/Cad delare refused to repair it under parts warranty stating excessive use/abuse. She sold the car with the vent open.

I just press it once it goes back and stops. I press it once forward (not holding it) and it closes then vents.

Do you happen to know if the limiter switch can be ordered seperately from the moonroof motor?

no its one whole assembly
cost is about 400 bucks i believe
i can get you a used one for 200 though
lemme know

will do, at the moment it moves back and forth no problem it just is annoying.

They must have modified the setup by the time the 2000 model came out. Mine goes forward all the way, the back goes up like vent and then comes back down to the closed position. It does all this as one cycle.

kissedvfd said:
They must have modified the setup by the time the 2000 model came out. Mine goes forward all the way, the back goes up like vent and then comes back down to the closed position. It does all this as one cycle.
When I bought the car I could press the back button once and the moonroof would travel to the fully open position and stop (still does this). Initially, when I pressed the forward button the moonroof would travel forward and stop in the fully closed position, if I hit the forward button again it would vent. Now when I press the forward button from opened it closes then vents with no stop in between. I wonder what year the change occured and if the new motor has less problems. I know when I changed my Heater/air conditioning blower for the dual zone climate control the new blower had a heat shield while the old one didn't (the old one probably cooked itself to death).

kissedvfd said:

yours has to be aftermarket they NEVER changed the sunroof on eldos and on sevilles in 98 they changed it and used 2 switches one for vent and one for open/closed

CadillacETC1997 said:
yours has to be aftermarket they NEVER changed the sunroof on eldos and on sevilles in 98 they changed it and used 2 switches one for vent and one for open/closed

CF5 - SUN, GLASS, SLIDING, ELEC

It's not aftermarket and it has 2 switches, one for open (one push and it opens all the way) and one for vent. When it slides completely forward the back end goes up some and then goes back down to the sealed position. If my model is different than steinmetzmr’s (and it sounds as though it is) this isn’t helping him, but I do appreciate the input. Initially I thought I was giving a different perspective. Now I just want to say; “Did you have any luck, steinmetzmr?”

kissedvfd said:
CF5 - SUN, GLASS, SLIDING, ELEC

It's not aftermarket and it has 2 switches, one for open (one push and it opens all the way) and one for vent. When it slides completely forward the back end goes up some and then goes back down to the sealed position. If my model is different than steinmetzmr’s (and it sounds as though it is) this isn’t helping him, but I do appreciate the input. Initially I thought I was giving a different perspective. Now I just want to say; “Did you have any luck, steinmetzmr?”
no luck yet, I'll probably buy a whole new sunroof motor.

Members online

No members online now.
Back