95 TC been sitting, sputtered wouldn't run, drained gas, new gas, still won't run

Kiss4aFrog

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
It was old stale gas and with starting fluid it would fire up and run rough. Let it run for a couple hours trying to burn off some of the old stuff. Finally shut it off for the night and since then can't get it started. it's been a week on an off I've gone out and tried to get it to idle on it's own again. I can't even keep it running with my foot on it. Finally I jumped the fuel pump relay to pump out all the gas. I've added 2 gallons of fresh gas and expected it to start up and run.

I have spark and fuel as it will try to start and lumber roughly for a few seconds and die. Crank it over some it lumbers again for a few and dies. Once in a while it will rev up and sound very healthy as hitting good on all eight but it's once in a while and after a couple seconds of 1500, 2000 rpms it just dies. Then we're back to cranking and once in a while it will lumber along like it's hitting on some but I can give it gas, dies immediately.

Any suggestion on what to try ?? What to check and how ??

Any codes?
Change the plugs old gas could have fouled them.
Check for bad cats too.

I'm sorry, I thought I had updated. Part of my problem was at some point in the process of trying to start it I must have leaned on the intake and the thermostat housing has a stud that sticks up. If you look for it with the intake in place you can see it and see it's close. Well if you lean on the intake it punches a hole in the intake. Then I was working on it in the evenings and it was a little dark so I didn't see where the intake had a couple square inch piece of plastic blown out when it backfired.

So I had a small vac leak and bad gas, then with the fresh gas and the backfire damage it wasn't going to run.

I went trailer park and used duct tape in true Red Green fashion and covered the little hole and cut off the backfire damaged section and taped up the interior port.
I know I need a new (used) intake, just wanted to make sure I could get it running before searching the bone yards. I was amazed how brittle that plastic is !!

Engine intake damage from thermo stud.jpg

Engine intake backfire plugged port.jpg

Members online

Back