94 Mark VIII electrical gremlin at my wits end

BC Mark VIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
really need help here folks.when my car was stored outside last winter(very damp,no cover) I went out to start it(done on monthly basis) and battery was dead..charged battery,reconnected battery and headlights,tail lights,dash lights and center dash lights all came on(NOT including message center)..all switches are off,no key in ignition.pulled light switches and checked for continuity function,both working proper on/off positions.checked relays under hood for proper function,both ok..sometimes lights come on right away,sometimes takes anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours but both relays are getting powered up for some reason.have to pull 40 amp maxifuse to stop from happening...since then,I have had added intermittent problems with power windows,power locks,dash turn signal indicators (but not the turn signals themselves,they function properly)...what is the common denominator??? this is a Canadian model if that makes a difference..does the first gen have a body control module?I've been told no..I need to get the tranny rebuilt but unsure whether to do so until I figure out what is causing my electrical problems..PLEASE HELP..any questions I will give whatever info I can...Thankyou

I have seen a lot of strange things happen with a battery I thought was good and or corroded connections. Frist thing I would do is use a battery you know is good or have yours tested. I have a smart battery charger yet it has failed to recognize a defective battery.
Second, ensure you have clean connections - you did say the M8 has been sitting in storage.
I wouldn't use vaseline or anything else to stop corrosion. I used vaseline after cleaning my battery and cables as there was corrosion/build up and my M8 started doing all sorts of strange things. As soon as I removed the vasline from the cables/batteries, everything worked as intended.

Sounds like a short
In gen 2s there's a bad spot for rubbing in the doors and will cut into the harness

thanks for the reply guys...new battery and alternator..this is a gen 1.the door lock on the pass. side has quit working,will check wires on it...I wonder,,could the anti theft module cause this?

Members online

Back