94 Continental - rear sits on chasis

1986_MarkVII

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Woman in the house.

Sold my '86 Mark VII. Had to pay the mortgage. Stopped weeping after a few days.

Found a '94 Lincoln Continental Executive series.

After about a month, got up one morning and rear is practially on the ground. Tried turning off and on switch in trunk. No luck. Front air bags working fine. Car rides like an old buck board.

Dash light says something wrong. Gee, no kidding. :cool:

I called for bids to fix, and I can't afford. The mechanic said try replacing the pump and or switch. He said that is typically what goes bad on these cars.

Does anyone have a ste-by-step photo diagram of where and how to replace these items.

If your front end is fine, either you're not getting air to the rear airbags, or the air bags are pooched. Usually, is the bags have failed, your compressor will run constantly. Check that, otherwise you could have kinked air line to the rear - maybe hit by a rock and pinched closed. Also look at the four airlines coming out of the air compressor - maybe one is off or broken. Could also cause your compressor to run constantly.

if the compressor is running, (and lets assume able to move enough air at a high enough pressure to do some good), then you definately have a leak in the rear of the system.

Leaky air lines are rare, they actually run in quite protected areas of the car. if their is a leak in a line, it will be at the dryer, or at the solenoids.

more likely one of the rear struts is shot. they dont last much more than 8-10 yrs, not like coil springs which can in theory last forever.

Ok, now, if the compressor runs, but no air pressure, look for a plugged dryer (not to bad to replace, and can be re-furbished in your house), or a rusted vent valve (which is in the compressor). if the vent valve is rusted, it wont seal, and will vent all air out of the system. Also, if valve is rusted, you should replace/refurbish the dryer.

Now, if the compressor dont run, then you need to check the compressor relay (I hear its a direct swap with the ABS relay). these are NOT normal relays, but in fact solid state switches. Also, a fried compressor is possible too. if compressor is fried, replace the relay, compressor, and diagnose WHY it fried. probably a leak in a strut someplace overworked it. they only run MAYBE 10% of the time, usually much less than that.

now, the reason you have front normal height is that the computer tries to raise or lower the rear of the car first. if it fails to do that, it gives up after about 90 secs and shuts off everything, turning on the idiot light.

I had to go thru many of the things listed here to get my 91 up on air again. I can probably help with most of the diagnostic and repair stuff, if your somewhat mechanically inclined.

Ability to work on Lincolns

I can probably help with most of the diagnostic and repair stuff, if your somewhat mechanically inclined.

I replaced the ignition switch on my '86 Mark VII, the headliner, and other things, with the help of people on this web site that had photo displays with detailed instructions.

In other words, if I know what I'm looking for, what it looks likes, and how to remove it, then I can do it.

I used to do some work with father, but that was on basic Chevys that didn't have all the smog, fuel injection, and everything wired.

But after the Mark VII, I'm a bit more familar with modern cars.

Thanks for the offer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back