94 Continental engine stalls

Seabeeman01

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1994 Continental 3.8 litre V-6 . The engine is stalling while driving the car . The engine also stalls when the car is idling . When driving the car , it shudders like you hit a pot hole when the engine momentarily quits . The car has been restarting without letting it cool off . I've replaced the relay box bolted to the core support , the ignition module and the ignition switch . None of those things have corrected the problem . The head gaskets have been replaced , as has the radiator fan motor . When the engine idles , it runs smooth until it quits , like the key was turned off . Any suggestions ?

Sounds like a coolant temp sensor or throttle position sensor. Maybe idel air control valve, possibly the PCV valve. Find the pcv valve and disconnect it hold it in your hand and shake it and listen for a rattle. If no rattle the your pcv valve is stuck open or shut replace it. All these things can be easy fixes. Problems could be worse like injectors or some place in the ignition system. Good luck.

Note that this happens when the engine is at normal operation temperatures . Temperature sensor seems to be ok , as does the PVC valve and the throttle position sensor . This is more like something is getting warm and goes intermittent . I've never had trouble with the computer on one of these cars , or its cousin the Taurus , but is it possible the main computer is bad ? Anyone had trouble with a distributor or coil in a Continental ?

Also , the check engine light and the check dcl light never come on until the car dies .

So let me see if I understand you correctly. The car runs fine when first started but warms up and this is when the problem occurs. Or it does this start to stop. If you shut the car off at this point will it start back up right away or does it need to cool down before you can restart it. If it needs to cool before restart, this is a symptom I have seen with faulty ignition control modules, coil packs, engine or coolant temp sensors. Ignition control module being the most common. Even somthing as simple as a bad plug or burned wire, clogged fuel filter. Good luck.

The car cuts out after it reaches normal operating temp . The ignition module is new , as are the plugs and plug wires . It will restart immediately after it cuts out . It only cuts out momentarily when being driven most of the time and when it does this it usually keeps running . I'm thinking it could be the stator/pickup in the distributor . Just wondering if anyone has had this kind of problem .

I have a '93 Conti with the same problem. It will run fine until the engine gets hot, then will stall out. There is power but no ignition & no starter until the engine - more specifically the ECM module cools down, then it will turn over & drive fine. Sometimes it happens after 50 miles sometimes after 200 miles. There is a buzzing noise from the ECM module like there is a short.

remember one thing on the temp sensor.. there are 2 of them.. one for the fuel/ignition system, one for the dash.

I had a REAL bad hesitation in my 92 cougar with 3.8, from the time the ignition system from 'open circuit' (right after start) to 'closed circuit' (after a preset time, depending on various conditions), untill engine was FULLY warmed up. Turned out to be the Engine Coolant Temp sensor was out of spec. Replacing it helped, but I think the Intake Air Temp sensor is bad too.. it still does it when its really cold out.

93 Continental stalling -expensive guesswork

This is a real frustrating problem & one that has the possiblity of getting expensive real fast, so far I have been told by mechanic friends & from research that the reason my Conti stalls out is from the:

O2 Sensor
Idle Air Control Valve
Leak in vaccum lines
Mass Air Flow/Sensor
Computer
ECM module
Engine coolant temp sensor
Intake air temp sensor
switch to Premium gasoline

Did I forget anything?

Members online

No members online now.