93 Mark VIII headlights + won't shut off

BC Mark VIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
new to forum thanks for having me,,developed a problem when car was stored outside with car cover on here in DAMP Vancouver..was stored last october 30(today is feb.13) was last started christmas,no problems..went out last nite,battery dead..after 5 minutes recharging,No Key In Ignition,,headlights,dash lights,center console backing lights,running lights all came on..auto headlight was left on during storage but was working properly...only way to get all mentioned systems to shut off now is to pull main 40 amp maxi fuse..front passenger plastic inner fender well was not installed during storage if that makes a difference..car was very damp inside..interior lights are working properly..all help is appreciated..I have multimeter,test light but certainly do not have full knowledge of electrical systems and Mark Viii proper service manuals are a rare and expensive item up here in Canada

Get her running and dry her out. There are lots of things could be wrong in the headlight control system. I'd concentrate on drying her out and hope it goes away.

Mine sits in an open ended shelter and is dry inside. Vancouver Island is kinda on the wet coast eh'.

got it dried out last few days of nice weather..problem remains the same..would assume the main headlight switch has corrosion .. see spark when the maxi fuse is put back in..how much of a pita is it to get to?..thanks

Check your harness behind the headlight switch to see if it is melted and replace with a newer 95-96 version. Another thing to check might be the dimmer switch.

Here are some wiring diagrams from a 95 (you do not have HIDs') but should still be the same.

95Mark8AutoLamps1of3.jpg

95Mark8AutoLamps2of3.jpg

95Mark8AutoLamps3of3.jpg

95Mark8AutoLamps1of3.jpg

95Mark8AutoLamps2of3.jpg

95Mark8AutoLamps3of3.jpg

thankyou for the replies and schematics..removed dimmer and auto on switches,problem persists..must be master headlight switch or autolamp relay? is this the relay under hood? removed main switch,cleaned and blew out,re installed(with dimmer/auto on still removed),relay under hood clicked a few times then lights stayed on again..changed relay,problem persists

Members online

No members online now.
Back