93 eldorado transmission

brokenspoke

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My father recently won at auction a 93 eldorado on an impulse after our modest saturn was totalled. The car was purchased without our prior inspection. Honestly, we did not expect to be bidding on a cadillac, but the price seemed amazing at only $3,000 with a total of 78k miles on it. My father and i love driving it and just being owners of such a beautiful and powerful car, -- however the mechanics shop we took it to for inspection told us that the transmission was "DONE" and my father has had bad experiences with rebuild/replaced transmissions, and is hesitant to spend what we payed for the car just to have the transmission breakdown a few thousand miles down the road. I guess my question is, has anyone had good/bad experiences with repaired cadillac transmissions and how long it would last afterwards.

Check for trouble codes as follows:

To enter diagnostic mode:

1. Turn ignition "ON."
2. Depress the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons on the Climate Control Center (CCC) simultaneously and hold until the segment check appears on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

Use the following link to find out what the codes mean:
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

Please feel free to post them. Maybe we can help.

the only codes that showed up in history were I039, A037 and A046, which according to the link and the cadillac manual are intsrument panel and air conditioning problems. it said "no PCM codes" and at the end displayed "PCM?" i'm unclear what to do after that because i pressed the ^ button on the CCC and only got lost from there.

thanks for the help

DJ Kontakt said:
have YOU had problems with the transmission?

I havent had an issue but we noticed that in reverse it doesnt move while idling (you have to push the gas pedal a bit before it goes.) my dad said that a few times he put it in drive and it didnt move but i wasnt present and am not entirely sure about what happened since it hasnt happened to me at all.

we tried somewhat of a transmission flush and put some transmission fluid additive thats supposed to help with slippage and leaks. no word yet on how much its helped.

are there any reliability issues with new or repaired transmissions?

It sounds like the transmission is not “DONE” since the PCM is not displaying any trouble codes verifying the mechanics diagnosis. It could be a simple linkage adjustment or maybe the shift solenoids need to be replaced (but again, the PCM would detect defective solenoids), maybe a loose connection or the break sensor needs adjustment. Don't necessarily take what a mechanic says as fact. Many, many have been ripped-off by unscrupulous mechanics. Was the mechanic a from a Cadillac dealer? Even though going to a Cadillac dealership does not guarantee that you will find an honest mechanic, I would nevertheless look to go to someone who makes a living diagnosing and fixing Cadillacs’.

thanks a lot for the help with that, i guess the cadillac is a pretty sophisticated machine but i'm still not sure if theres something i should tell the computer to have it test the PCM or wether it does it automatically. I do know that the transmission fluid on the dipstick was very brown but hopefully youre right and we will get some life out of this car (if it lasts without issues, in two years it's likely mine and im definitely crossing my fingers about that)

Yes, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is very sophisticated. The GM Service Manuals for our cars are two volumes and over 3000 pages. Volume 1 entitled "Powertrain" discusses the PCM and how to use it and diagnose trouble codes, etc. You can do many things with the PCM diagnostic feature, including diagnose fuel injectors by turning on and off each injector one at a time to test circuit continuity and pressure. This is why I’m skeptical as to whether the transmission is “DONE”, as your PCM is not displaying trouble codes indicating same. This is also why it may be best for you to find out why there is some hesitation when shifting into reverse or drive. I would pay very close attention to transmission shifting every time I drive the car to see if there is anything unusual occurring. If you notice anything unusual, check for trouble codes again. Brown transmission fluid is not a good sign, however, it doesn't mean the transmission is "DONE." My fluid also has a brown tint. I also have a defective torque converter (code P039) but the transmission continues to function.

By the way, “to get out of the diagnostic mode anytime during the test, depress the "AUTO" or "DEFOG" button, or turn the ignition switch "OFF." Trouble codes are not erased if this is done prior to selecting "CODES CLEARED.”

Does your fluid have any sparkling metalflakes in it? When you changed the filter did you see any metal in the pan? When you try to move in reverse does the engine rev up and then slam into gear or does the car move smoothly? If there is no metal and no slamming then it is probably just fine unless the tranny is slipping in reverse. I have a 93 eldo and if it is on an incline it won't move in gear unless I gas it a little .

My tranny was slipping so I went to a local transmission shop & was told it was Done also. Only $1800 would keep me on the road, he said. I told them to just drain the fluid & replace the filter and I'd save up the 1800 and come back. It has been a year now and the tranny is fine; it was slipping because it was low on fluid. Transmission shops are even more unscrupulous than regular mechanic shops!! They make their living by rebuilding teansmissions...of course they want to take your money! If yours has a prob then try having it serviced...at a different shop! Get 2nd opinions Don't Trust Them!

MAC1 said:
Yes, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is very sophisticated. The GM Service Manuals for our cars are two volumes and over 3000 pages. Volume 1 entitled "Powertrain" discusses the PCM and how to use it and diagnose trouble codes, etc. You can do many things with the PCM diagnostic feature, including diagnose fuel injectors by turning on and off each injector one at a time to test circuit continuity and pressure. This is why I’m skeptical as to whether the transmission is “DONE”, as your PCM is not displaying trouble codes indicating same. This is also why it may be best for you to find out why there is some hesitation when shifting into reverse or drive. I would pay very close attention to transmission shifting every time I drive the car to see if there is anything unusual occurring. If you notice anything unusual, check for trouble codes again. Brown transmission fluid is not a good sign, however, it doesn't mean the transmission is "DONE." My fluid also has a brown tint. I also have a defective torque converter (code P039) but the transmission continues to function.

By the way, “to get out of the diagnostic mode anytime during the test, depress the "AUTO" or "DEFOG" button, or turn the ignition switch "OFF." Trouble codes are not erased if this is done prior to selecting "CODES CLEARED.”
:waving: I found your responce to be very helpful and I was wondering if you could tell me how to get into my 'diagnostic mode'? What are the codes for troubled areas & how do I determine which ones should be fixed? Maybe you could share some of that wonderful knowledge of yours with me? Thanks! :C

CaDreamr said:
:waving: I found your responce to be very helpful and I was wondering if you could tell me how to get into my 'diagnostic mode'? What are the codes for troubled areas & how do I determine which ones should be fixed? Maybe you could share some of that wonderful knowledge of yours with me? Thanks! :C

Year and model? It's different between the various models

To Mac1:
I read your post about you're car showing the PO39 code regarding the Torque converter. I have the same problem with my 98. My Tranny guy ( A good one) states that it is not worth the money to fix $1,100, and it will not cause any problems. He says that basically my car is not locking into overdrive on the highway, thus costing me about 3 to 4 miles per gallon. But he also said that since I mainly do City driving to just leave it alone. Do you agree with him?
Thanks, TJ

CaDreamr,

If you have a Cadillac/GM that is 1995 or earlier follow the instructions I gave in my post above to enter diagnostic mode. These vehicles (Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn) are equipped with the On-Board Diagnostics I (OBD I) system. All GM cars and light trucks built and sold in the United States after January 1, 1996 were required to be OBD II equipped. If your vehicle is a 1996 or later model than it will be OBD II equipped.

Reading OBD II Codes

"A cable is plugged into the OBD-II J1962 connector and the other end is connected to a scan tool. A hand-held scan tool is usually limited to one OBD-II system type - there are three basic OBD-II protocols in use, each with minor variations on the communication pattern between the on-board diagnostic computer and the scan tool. In general, Chrysler products and all European and most Asian imports use ISO 9141 circuitry. GM cars and light trucks use SAE J1850 VPW (Variable Pulse Width Modulation), and Fords use SAE J1850 PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) for communication."

See below link for OBD II Codes:
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

TJAXFF,

I've been dealing with the P039 code for about 60,000 miles and the transmission is still going. My symptoms include lazy shifting, weak acceleration at times, slipping transaxle, lower mpg, and, of course, the consistent SERVICE ENGINE SOON light. If I replace the transaxle, which may be in the very near future, I will buy a performance transaxle with a limited slip differential. The limited slip will cause both front wheels to spin thereby improving acceleration and derivability. http://www.phantomgrip.com/.

The P039 code is set when the difference between the engine speed and transaxle turbine speed of 48rpms (VIN #9 vehicles having a final drive gear ratio of 3.71 only) or greater is detected. If your vehicle is, for example, a 94 Eldorado Touring Coup, than your vehicle's VIN # will contain a "Y" and your final gear ratio (4th gear) will be 3.11. On these vehicles acceptable slip speed is based on engine torque delivered for 4.5 seconds. The PCM analyzes both and will set only if the torque applied/slip speed exceed acceptable limits. Once the code is set the torque converter is deactivated to prevent the transaxle from overheating. 1994 Cadillac Service Manual, p. 6E-A-140.

An intermittent code P039 setting may be caused by delayed TCC [Torque Converter Clutch] engagement (usually the first apply after a cold start) or by TCC slippage during high engine load conditions. Delayed TCC engagement can be checked using PCM Output Override PS01 (TCC Solenoid) to disengage and engage TCC and time how long it takes TCC to engage by watching PCM Data PD73 (Torque Converter Slip Speed). Delays of over 5 seconds may cause the code to set. TCC slippage during high load conditions can be determined by looking at code P039 Snapshot Data. High throttle angle (PD01), MAP (PD02), and engine coolant temperatures (PD04) may indicate a high load condition. Duplicating the high load conditions may cause the code setting conditions to occur. 1994 Cadillac Service Manual, p. 6E-A-140

Hi Mac:
Thanks for getting back so soon, and all your Info was VERY informative, also checked into the web site that you posted ( Phantom Grip) and it really sounds like the way to go, when I do decide to repair it.
Thanks Much, TJ

Would the problems you guys are dealing with be anything like the tranny shifting funny? When I accelerate slowly, shifting from 2 to 3 or 1 to 2, im not totally sure, it shifts back forth a few times. Then i let off the gas and it locks into the higher gear. This only happens occasionally. Also, occasionally, when in park and shifting into reverse or drive, it will slam into gear, jerking the car around a bit. Any ideas?

-Jon

Ok, I have a 94 ETC and heres the codes I'm pullin.

First time I ran the diag:
P036 History
P076 History
P093 History
T063 HISTORY
T037 CURRENT
T073 HISTORY
S036 HISTORY
S060 HISTORY

Then I ran it again about 10 minutes later.
All the same codes except
P093 CURRENT
T063 CURRENT
T073 CURRENT

And I ran in a third time about two hours later.
P036 HISTORY
P076 HISTORY
P093 HISTORY
T063 HISTORY
S036 HISTORY
S060 HISTORY
T037 CURRENT
T073 CURRENT

Any ideas why the codes would go from current to history or history to current?

ANY imput helps!

-Jon

Members online

Back