'93 Continental oil pressure guage

Ron Brownie

LVC Member
Reaction score
My '93 Continental oil pressure guage occasionally drops from four to one bar, with the associated alarm. Generally lasts for less than a minute. If I switch to temperature guage while this is happening, the display is two top bars and two bottom bars. I also experience occasional "Check DCL" alarms with the resultant loss of data on the right side of the dash display. This also seldom lasts for more than a minute. I have lots of oil, no overheating, no rattling or anything. I suspect I have "electronics" problems. Haven't gotten around to dealing with the DCL problem yet. Waiting for an electrical service manual to arrive from HELMINC. Any suggestions?

I believe the display computer is built into the display. As far as just the oil problem it may be a sensor, but im going for display.

hey my 92 oil gauge does the same thing do you know whats causing the problem

the computers in our early 90s style continentals are faulty

you can even replace them with new ones from ford, and you will still have the problems...

In my old car the computer was replaced and nothing fixed it.

There isnt anything wrong with the car, so dont worry. I fixed the problem by cutting the wiring harness and rewiring it to bypass the sensors.

I think the computer gets a value that it doesnt process properly and then it thinks something is wrong with the oil presssure.

the contacts on the display and dcl get corroded and weak over time,this creates many bad readings and false alarms.before disabling the sensors or anything go here

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article86.html

do the dcl display tuneup and you will probably find your display working like new again
john :L

My 93 Conti does the same thing, usually after a big change in the weather...(rainy cool day & hot the next). I push the button to change gauges and it usually takes care of it after a couple of pops. I'm too lazy to pull the trim and clean the wiring contacts. As long as my water temp AND oil pressure gauge doesn't go crazy at the same time, I'm not going to worry about it.

Irritating, but not deadly

My 94 Cont Signature does the same thing. Obviously, you can not lose all your oil pressure, then have it magically fix itself -- a dozen times in a row -- so it is an electronic problem. The posting about cleaning contacts was good. If I hadn't bought a 2004 LS yesterday, I might have attempted to fix the 94.

Now, does anyone know how to resurrect a radio? The Audio button and the volume control on the 94 Cont don't do anything when pressed. Sometimes, if I press on the buttons long enough, alternating between volume up and volume down, it will come back to life and work for a while. When the volume control starts working again, the Audio button works, too. They can work for an hour or so, but then get sticky after letting them alone for a short time (half a day).

Check DCL!!!

I also have the "Check DCL" problem on my 93 and i tried the tune up thing twice, i have tried taping the plug in, and putting dioelectric gel ( or whatever it is called) on the contacts. Nothing works it still beeps. Any other ideas? When you say cut the contacts and bypass the sensor...how is this done? Thanks!

dont do that bypassing sensor, its a relatively easy fix... there are bad solders on the black connectors that are on the back of the cluster. that simple. if you cant do it, or dont know someone who can do it, drop me a line, I do this type of work for a living. takes me about 20 mins to fix, once the cluster is on my bench

Members online

No members online now.
Back