93/94 Stereo headunit replacement options

BigUziLinc

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

The stock JBL sound system on my 94 mark viii has lived it's last breath and my headunit now just says "bad" so it is the time for me to replace my setup. I know that the best thing would be to get a new stereo and run new wire to new speakers and have a decent system. My issue is that with all the other projects on my mark (front suspension, 60k mile tune up, Iac etc..) I would rather not have to spend a weekend or pay someone to run all new wire.

Thus is it possible to just replace the stereo and bypass the jbl amp with the metra 70-5514 kit by just "nearly plug and play"?? I have been forum browsing and have heard some members say that the amp actually has a crossover for the speakers and bypassing it without new wire will just blow the speakers.

I don't care that much about the sound quality and honestly the stock jbl system was fine for me, currently just looking for something better than having music play from my phone thats on a holder lol. I just want to be able to play my music in the car without blowing the speakers and causing another problem down the road. The bypass kit will also allow me to plug in the old stereo once I can save up and afford to pay up for a "collector" nos stereo for the car so I can keep the stock look and have the car as a stock show car.

Thanks, any input is appreciated.

Not sure why you would want to bypass the amp if its still working. I installed this unit some years ago and it plays very well through the OEM amp. The original speakers and wires held up well but it wasnt long before one of the rear speakers toasted the bass into vibration.
Boss BN965BLC Double Din Car 6.5" DVD/Bluetooth Player Navigation Backup Camera 791489123464 | eBay The back up cam works pretty good for a cheapy as do the other options. Heres an article I did on installing new speakers and still used the OEM wires out of the stock amp.
Speaker install w/ polarity ID Good luck on a new hook up that meets your needs.

Hi everyone,

The stock JBL sound system on my 94 mark viii has lived it's last breath and my headunit now just says "bad" so it is the time for me to replace my setup. I know that the best thing would be to get a new stereo and run new wire to new speakers and have a decent system. My issue is that with all the other projects on my mark (front suspension, 60k mile tune up, Iac etc..) I would rather not have to spend a weekend or pay someone to run all new wire.

Thus is it possible to just replace the stereo and bypass the jbl amp with the metra 70-5514 kit by just "nearly plug and play"?? I have been forum browsing and have heard some members say that the amp actually has a crossover for the speakers and bypassing it without new wire will just blow the speakers.

I don't care that much about the sound quality and honestly the stock jbl system was fine for me, currently just looking for something better than having music play from my phone thats on a holder lol. I just want to be able to play my music in the car without blowing the speakers and causing another problem down the road. The bypass kit will also allow me to plug in the old stereo once I can save up and afford to pay up for a "collector" nos stereo for the car so I can keep the stock look and have the car as a stock show car.

Thanks, any input is appreciated.
Try Crutchfield. crutchfield.com

they may have a pre-made wire harness that will work.

I was thinking of bypassing the amp just because I don’t want to fry it with a new headunit and also heard that using the stock amp can lead to the sound being super distorted. Hearing that yours has held up is a good sign though.

Members online

Back