92 TC, 4.6 need plastic engine cover

Big Dan

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time posting here, I know Joey from another forum he runs and I'm having a hard time finding a part I need for my TC, I figure this would be as good a place as any to get info. :)

Long story short the car was chugging on acceleration when idling it would almost stall and run very rough, I figured it needed a tune up which we got yet the problem persisted, back the mechanic it went. It turns out the piece on top of the engine that says "V8 Dual Overhead Cam" is cracked all the way around, thus letting air in to the system where it shouldn't be. the piece is circled below. The best way I've figured to describe it is where the carboruter cover would be in an older car.

Lincoln_Town_Car_Parts_Sheet8-900.jpg

I cannot find the specific name or part number for that piece, I've been to three junk yards and gotten the run around or they want to sell me the whole assembly from the air cleaner back, which I don't need, for an exuberant price.

Does anyone know the specific name to that piece? If so, do tell please. :) If anyone has a spare laying around that they want to sell let me know I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Lincoln_Town_Car_Parts_Sheet8-900.jpg

are you talking about the vacume elbow that goes bad located on the back of the intake on these cars making it feel like the torque converter is locking up get some carb or brake clean and sprary around the intake if the idle goes up theres your leak listen for a sucking noise around the motor highly think that a air box would cause this

He is talking about the plastic air intake 'plenum' / box

It is sold w/ the tube from Ford. It is item #4 on your diagram.

You can get one from any 1991-1995 Town Car, or 1992-1995 Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis.

Also inspect the small vacuum 't' fitting. It is prone to getting mushy and collapsing or cracking under engine vacuum and will cause a vacuum leak. Very common issue on the 91-95s.

your right it is a t fitting its been awhile, right in the center is where they go bad very common

Thanks guys! :) I've printed this out and will go junk yard hunting later on.

How hard is something like this to install yourself?

First of all, the name of the part is right in the picture you posted.

Tube, Air Outlet

If it says "V8 Dual Overhead Cam" you have a one of the kind 92 LTC.

Those engines were Single Overhead Cam Engines.

Tim

Resize of 100_1467A.jpg

Just wanted to update you guys:

I finally found the part, $35 not to shabby. After we got it installed the problem got worse. :eek:

Our mechanic, a great guy by the way, said it might be the fuel pump. I was thinking of that too but hesitated because who really wants to sink money into a car you're getting rid of in a few months.

Long story short he says lets change the fuel filter first, even if that is not what's specifically causing the problem a new one is cheap and couldn't hurt.

That's all it was! $19.50 for a fuel filter and the car is running like a dream again. Well except for the other couple of problems, but those are liveable.

Fabricated New Intake tube (CAI) [93 TC]

My wife's driver is a 93 Town Car with 144K.
- She loves how smooth the car drives and it still averages about 18-19MPG around town and 24-25 on the HWY.

Last week she complained of the engine hesitating and generally not running very well. Within the last 10K I had installed new Plugs, Taylor Spiro-Core Wires and pulled the TB & elbow to clean all the carbon deposits from the EGR channel surrounding area.

After some investigation I discovered the plastic fresh air intake / resonator was cracked around the throttle body connection and one of the seams was beginning to split - I used some epoxy and did a temp repair so she could drive it while I sorted out a more permanent fix.

A trip to a couple of local salvage yards made it evident that this is not an isolated problem! I looked over at least a dozen cars and all of them were broken / cracked! - I did find one that only the support screw boss was broken. However I did find a rubber boot off a (Crown Vic ?) that clamped to the TB and widened out to accept a 3" pipe - I stopped by Home Depot and purchased a short piece of 3" PVC, 2 45 deg Elbows and a 3" union. I mocked up the pieces and after trimming and adjusting a few times; got things to fit together pretty well. The factory flex duct off the OEM set up fit snug on the inside of the 3" PVC, so i used a couple of 6-32 screws and nuts to ensure it stayed in place and sealed things together, I used an old heater hose fitting and drilled and tapped the PVC (1/2" NPT) for the crankcase breather air tube. A bit of sanding and some gloss black spray paint - DONE - total cost under $40.00.

Seems to be working well, a bit more "air noise" @ WOT :).
I had previously installed a drop-in K&N Filter and removed the bell or air horn from the front of the air box.

Pics attached:

Todd Stranczek
toddsss@aol.com
Benton,AR
1993 Town Car

TC Intake 1.JPG

TC Intake 2.JPG

TC Intake 3.JPG

TC Intake 4.JPG

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.