91 air ride tweaks ?

Ok scratch the part about the solenoids, strutmasters appears to sell them for $15 so ill just buy one from them.

Maybe you should pick up 4 as well since there so damn cheap and your gonna be in there as well, not to mention they come with new o-rings.

I might just buy 3 more later and replace all mine as well, one less place for leaks/failure.

Edit: yep costs me $5 shipping, probably cheaper to buy all 4 at once and save on shipping, Ill know when I buy 3 more.

OK I got my solenoid today and I have a piece of 1/8" line on the way to see if it works.

If it fits then I have a plan to make it all come together, Im gonna draw up a diagram today.

OK heres what I got so far, hopefully I didnt forget anything.

airride.jpg

ok.. after a quick look, I see fill methodology, but what about vent??? do the solenoids at the tank have the vent?? (such that the solenoid at the tank is vented to the atmosphere unless energized?)

The solenoids near the stock solenoids are the vent solenoids.

Basically anytime a fill or empty request is needed, ALL 4 stock solenoids will open, then the proper aftermarket solenoid will open as well, it will either be the vent, near the air strut or the fill, near the tank.

Look again at the diagram, theres a total of 12 solenoids, 4 stock, 8 aftermarket.

EDIT: Oh Sh!t I forgot to draw in the T fitting, theres a T fitting after the 1/8" to 1/4" conversion, Ill add a new pic.

OK Here is the pic again with an addon pic for more detail of the vent system

airride.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

airride2.jpg

I got a stock solenoid in the mail the other day, you know I really think I can make this system run 3/8" lines or even 1/2" lines buy doing a little cutting / chopping / epoxy welding to this stock solenoid.

What do you think?

-Pros to bigger lines w/bored out solenoid
Faster fill and drop rates
Standard line size without reducers
no need to control stock solenoids
I probably will never sell this car because I love it so might as well do what I truley want with it and stop thinking about weather the next buyer will approve
Bonus cool factor points for being able to drop the ride on the ground in a split second then raise it back up in another split second

-Cons to bigger lines w/bored out solenoid
Possibly unreliable
Not as leak proof as having a solenoid directly connected to the bag
Stock computer might have trouble controlling the system with the huge increase in speed
Will need to rethink my whole wiring schematic with alot of relays and diodes for stock system to still have the ability to control the air ride
Might damage the old bags with rapid filling and deflating

This is a tough one

I think the biggest cons are the possible unreliablity, and the possible strain on the air bags/struts assy. Them things aint cheap to replace. I bought my parts car for the sole purpose of getting the nearly new struts for my car.

I see you hail from Centerline... is the Centerline MI?? I grew up in Warren.

Sure is, Looking at some new apt's though.

I like the looks of the harbors, I think there around hall / 20mile and Romeo Plank rd.

Might go ahead and buy my tank soon and start getting the parts together.

Also these are the pumps I plan to buy, Ill buy 1 pump last then another later down the road.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8035995636&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

160 PSI
1.8 CFM
1/4 hp
w/ breaker switch

Basically same specs as a Viair 450c @ half the price

hope everything goes well on the car.

I worked in Shelby.. somewhat familiar with that area.. Nice area.

I might be making a trip back down there sometime this summer. may have to see about getting together to see what you have done to the Conti.

yeah im still waiting on my callback from the Saleen Plant in troy where they make the new GT's and Mustang Saleens.

Got my interview and all was well and I should know soon, that plus my income from software design will definetly allow me to do all the things I want to do to the car.

Members online

Back