90 Sedan Deville Brake line leaking - need quick fix

KY_Cadi

New LVC Member
Reaction score
so, yesterday I was driving and I've been noticing my brakes were getting worse and my brake light is on so out of anger I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could and a big cloud of smoke came from under the car. The brake fluid was leaking on the exhaust. It looks like it was coming from above the gas tank. I don't have ANY money right now to fix this. So.... I'm needing a quick fix, can I disconnect the leaking brake line from the master brake cylinder and just put a plug in its place until I get the brake line fixed? Also it's almost leaked all of the brake fluid out twice, will I have to bleed anything? If so, how, and what? I know alittle bit about cars but not much. When I hit the brakes the car pulls to the right, that means the left brake isn't working? How do I know which of the two back brake lines goes to the right or left from the master brake cylinder? So if anyone could give me some insight I'd appreciate it.

The fitting at the master cylinder is flared. If you put a plug in there, the sealing surface will most likely be damaged and you'll have to replace the master cylinder. It depends where the leak actually is as to where the "quick fix' should be applied. I do not recommend this because of safety issues. Air will have gotten into the line from the leak. If fluid can get out, air can get in. You should be able to locate the leak easily either by the trail of fluid or have a helper push on the brake while you look. You can then pinch off the metal part of the line before the leak. If fluid is coming out when you do this, the air should be out of the line. After repairs are completed, the line can be repaired with a compression fitting. If it is leaking at a rubber hose, you can pinch it off with a clamp or locking pliars. I describe this as an emergency fix only, like you’re in the middle of the desert and you have to get to the hospital emergency room and there's no phones and this is the only transportation available. Definitely not for any mountainous areas in KY!

So, don't do any of that! Just get it repaired right ASAP!

Alright I found the leak, hopefully the only one. It's in the back of the car right next to the gas tank, it's the rear passanger brake line. The leak looks like it's coming from around the little hook thing that holds the line up. The line is rusted really bad at the connections to the brake and to the little extender and I couldn't get the line broke lose. The bottom of my car is rusted pretty bad. I'm going to try to clean the line where the leak is and JB Weld it, if that doesn't work I might have to replace the entire line from the master cylinder all the way to the brake, either way I'll get it fixed soon. Thanks for your help.

Members online

Back