9/12 March on Washington

Not YouTube - Fox... I really don't trust YouTube - and wouldn't there be more coverage than 4 minutes? And some real coverage of the 'mile' of people he talks about - you can't really see that... Part two looks to be just editorial... But it does show little crowd snippets on the side of Beck's head shot...

Organizations always overestimate

that is a VERY broad generalization. Care to offer a justification? What about when underestimating would benefit an organization? Would they still overestimate in that instance?

Not YouTube - Fox... I really don't trust YouTube - and wouldn't there be more coverage than 4 minutes? And some real coverage of the 'mile' of people he talks about - you can't really see that...

Does it look edited in some fashion to you? Simply because it is youtube is no reason to dismiss it.

that is a VERY broad generalization. Care to offer a justification? What about when underestimating would benefit an organization? Would they still overestimate in that instance?

Let's say in this instance it would be more likely to over estimate to get out press coverage than underestimate. They had a pretty good idea of how many were in the buses... and then you have people flying in just for the event - or driving themselves.

They aren't going to say "oh about 20,000" and hope to get good coverage...

I suppose there might be instance where an organization would underestimate a turn out for an event on purpose - however when you get into the numbers that they are talking about (50,000+) it is very important to have the right amount of police coverage, etc.

Does it look edited in some fashion to you? Simply because it is youtube is no reason to dismiss it.

I don't know about the editing - it looks like a commercial for the 9-12 group... doesn't the reporter look just a little too enthusiastic?

What I was questioning actually more was the length - it seems like a small amount of coverage, and on Beck's show - which could be biased since he is sort of a driving force behind this cause.

When Cal said coverage I though he meant FoxNews Coverage - not snippets during Beck's show...

Not YouTube - Fox... I really don't trust YouTube - and wouldn't there be more coverage than 4 minutes? And some real coverage of the 'mile' of people he talks about - you can't really see that... Part two looks to be just editorial... But it does show little crowd snippets on the side of Beck's head shot...
Moving the goalposts again, I see. :rolleyes:

If you don't meet Foxpaws' ever-widening standard, it didn't happen.

foss - your link has a headline that says one million - the meta file (the thing you see in the title of the page on the top of your browser) says up to two million and the photo caption says tens of thousands....

To say that everyone is all over the board on this is putting it mildly - even within the article that you posted they are all over the place...

foss - your link has a headline that says one million - the meta file (the thing you see in the title of the page on the top of your browser) says up to two million and the photo caption says tens of thousands....

To say that everyone is all over the board on this is putting it mildly - even within the article that you posted they are all over the place...
Still moving the goalposts...

And where are you? Fifty thousand? Nice try, Alinsky. :rolleyes:

Nope - actually looking at the photos, and from a first hand account of a friend that was there I would look at the very low 100,000s - a very decent turnout... especially realizing that all those people got there on their own dime. Many rallies have opportunities for people to get there on 'grant-type' programs, people sponsor other people, organizations like churches get groups together and pay for the bus and gasoline and expenses so their people can go to the rallies. To do this on your own money is really cool. That is a very big turnout for something that is self funded.

Nope - actually looking at the photos, and from a first hand account of a friend that was there I would look at the very low 100,000s - a very decent turnout... especially realizing that all those people got there on their own dime. Many rallies have opportunities for people to get there on 'grant-type' programs, people sponsor other people, organizations like churches get groups together and pay for the bus and gasoline and expenses so their people can go to the rallies. To do this on your own money is really cool. That is a very big turnout for something that is self funded.
So, you're relying on photos and a friend who 'was there?' Did your 'friend' do a headcount? Do you even know how long it takes to count to one hundred thousand? :bowrofl: Don't give me a cramp from laughing. Talk about burden of proof! You cite anecdotal evidence while dismissing media reports? What a hypocrite!

Since the National Park Service relied on the media to get Obama's Inauguration numbers, I'm satisfied to rely on a media report for this event as well.

Foss - well, from photos you can tell how far the crowd goes back - you can tell by the streets and the pools that bisect the mall. All the photos I have seen have people going back to 3rd ... but pretty low density. The Park's people estimate with the 'ticketed' area (from the capitol to 3rd) is packed (like a rock concert) that about 1/4 million fit in that area. The density in the photos I have seen is maybe 1/2 to 1/3 the density of a rock concert - if that.

So, do you think they really counted the approximately one million people who were there in January? Even Fox is using the 70,000 or so number for this event - which is the number my friend guessed. I am being somewhat generous, because in the photos I have seen it looks like people are still coming in from Pennsylvania Ave. - quite a few...

And I know the Park Police won't estimate crowds - I said that earlier...

Foss - well, from photos you can tell how far the crowd goes back - you can tell by the streets and the pools that bisect the mall. All the photos I have seen have people going back to 3rd ... but pretty low density.

The Park's people estimate with the 'ticketed' area (from the capitol to 3rd) is packed (like a rock concert) that about 1/4 million fit in that area. The density in the photos I have seen is maybe 1/2 to 1/3 the density of a rock concert - if that.

So, do you think they really counted the approximately one million people who were there in January? Even Fox is using the 70,000 or so number for this event - which is the number my friend guessed. I am being somewhat generous, because in the photos I have seen it looks like people are still coming in from Pennsylvania Ave. - quite a few...

And I know the Park Police won't estimate crowds - I said that earlier...
So on one hand, you point out the Park's people's estimate and rely on it, and in the very same post, you agree that the Park Police won't estimate crowds.

Hoist by your own petard, eh? :rolleyes:

The Park people have maps that generalize crowd count - these are from before the law that won't allow them to estimate crowd count... Because they used to estimate... the tools are still there - and it isn't hard to use them... (someone gave me this link - thank you - because of previous events I had been at I knew the area between the steps and 3rd equaled about 1/4 million people if packed - so it was nice to see the maps on the web that confirmed that).

GR2009011900114.jpg

So, if you know the mall - you can guess the crowd count using the Parks people's old maps...

If you notice the ticketed area is always 240,000 people - they expect the crowd to always be the tightest there... as the real estate expands, so does the space between people...

But, Foss - I am interested in why the story you posted floats all over the place - there is a huge difference from tens of thousands to 2 million people... why the big differences?

Let's say in this instance it would be more likely to over estimate to get out press coverage than underestimate. They had a pretty good idea of how many were in the buses... and then you have people flying in just for the event - or driving themselves.

They aren't going to say "oh about 20,000" and hope to get good coverage...

I suppose there might be instance where an organization would underestimate a turn out for an event on purpose - however when you get into the numbers that they are talking about (50,000+) it is very important to have the right amount of police coverage, etc.

Why did DEMOCRAT organizations estimate that up to 2 million people might show up? They have a vested interest in this NOT getting coverage.

Why did DEMOCRAT organizations estimate that up to 2 million people might show up? They have a vested interest in this NOT getting coverage.

they have more of an interest to make the group look bad - we talked about this a little bit earlier in the thread.

To discredit an organization you get into circulation before the event happens a huge number - in this case 2 million. It does a couple of things - it has a tendency to make the organizers claim that many people showed up, to save face... and then it makes the organization look bad when it becomes quite obvious that no where near that number actually showed up.

For instance, when Martin Luther King, Jr. was at the mall speaking in '63, the opposition stated that at least 1,000,000 people would be showing up - and then they claimed it was a failure when only 250,000 people were there to hear him speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
The crowd goes all the way back to the monument.
You can see that in some of the videos, including the clip I posted.
And that doesn't account for all the overflow that wasn't able to get on the mall.

Or couldn't get any public transportation into the Capitol.

The crowd goes all the way back to the monument.
You can see that in some of the videos, including the clip I posted.
And that doesn't account for all the overflow that wasn't able to get on the mall.

Or couldn't get any public transportation into the Capitol.

Which video Cal - i just reviewed all your posts - even want to the pajama link, the NRO link and the transterrestrial link and I didn't see any photos or video of the mall - the time line video is just of where constitution and Penn meet... with no time frame - you can't tell how long that video represents from the youtube link... there is no time stamping on it...

The Beck video doesn't show the mall - you can't see anything other than the immediate crowd...

MMs video at the end shows the crowd from the 'back' from 3rd - I have stood there a few times - that is the shot they are using there - the crowd from that point forward is probably in the 90,000 range.

Can you give me the post number?

Also - have you found the 'real' Fox News coverage - not just Beck's 4 minute overview?

Which video Cal - i just reviewed all your posts -
At the 1:00 mark of the Beck video, the reporter states that the "sea of people goes all the way" to the Washington Monument one mile away.

even want to the pajama link, the NRO link and the transterrestrial link and I didn't see any photos or video of the mall -
I've put a variety of links up regarding objective parties estimating the turn out of the event. Everything from Reason Magazine to National Review Online, there is a growing consensus in the numbers- and it's not 70k.

Unfortunately, no one arranged for an areal photograph to be taken. So I'm not going to spend all night sitting here find pictures and reports only for you to continue asking for more because you're not convinced.

Your "friend" who happens to be a "Republican" was wrong.
And isn't it interesting that YOUR friend manages to agree with the low-ball ABC number, while EVERYONE ELSE who was at the event (even those who weren't participants) recognize that there were hundreds of thousands of people involved..... but YOUR friend just happened to agree with the MSM legacy media account.

with no time frame - you can't tell how long that video represents from the youtube link... there is no time stamping on it...
You're right, those people might have been going to the massive pro-Obama rally later that day :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Also - have you found the 'real' Fox News coverage - not just Beck's 4 minute overview?
Sure, I have it right here on my harddrive...:rolleyes:
Beck covered the event for a few hours. That was just the first youtube clip I came across.... you're perfectly welcome to look for that information on line yourself, rather than giving me homework and shifting the burden here.

All evidence, EVERY OBJECTIVE ANALYSIS I have found indicates that the event was in the hundreds of thousands, if not a million. Find the picture from ABC or maybe some liberal troll blogger that demonstrates otherwise.

Well, they don't show the crowd on the Beck - he just talks about it - the CSPAN coverage shows the crowd at various points in its coverage the shot at the very front is very much a 100,000 type shot...

My friend has attended many, many rallies (and has been at almost all Inaugurals since Reagan's first, including Obama's). He was comparing the size of Obama's to this. He believes that Obama's was at 700,000, and he thought this was at 1/10th. I think Obama was at about 1 million - so 1/10th of that would be 100,000. Oh - his shot I posted earlier was at 1:00 - when the rally started.

Also - if you read almost every account this rally is the very first large rally that these people have attended. I would guess that they just don't have a lot of experience at this sort of thing... They wouldn't be very good at crowd count if they haven't been in a rally of 100,000. You need to have some experience to guess crowd size. 100,000 is a whole lot of people... 1,000,000 is a ridiculously large amount of people. Those pictures of the 9-12 rally don't even come anywhere close to this picture of Obama's Inaugural.
inaugural_sea.jpg

And this shot is from 3rd and beyond - remember, the crowd from 9-12 stopped at 3rd
barack-obama-inauguration-crowd-500x333.jpg

And this is from a very conservative blog site - if you scroll down you see the blogger and his wife in front of the crowd shot - once again 3rd seems to be the point where the crowd stops - that really is about 100,000 at that density.

And this is a panorama from another blogger who was there - as you can see it stops at 3rd - it really doesn't go into the mall at all.. and it doesn't go onto the streets in front of the capitol - as well as the steps of the capitol. Obama got to use that huge amount of space for the crowd as well. There is a huge amount of difference between the 1 million at Obama's Inaugural and the xxx amount of people at the 9/12 rally.
9-12_pan.jpg

Once again - 100,000 is a great number -

As far as the marching on constitution, it is really hard to tell what is happening without a time stamp. That could be 1-1/2 hours worth of people - 3 hours worth or 45 minutes worth - it is hard to tell

So Cal - is a blog picture worth 100,000 people?

And finally from ABC News regarding the turn out, and Matt Kibbe's (the head of Freedom Works - the organization behind the event) retraction. Note that he said ABCs coverage was fair and honest - and remember ABC puts the attendance at 60,000 to 70,000 ...

As a result of Kibbe's erroneous attribution, several bloggers and commenters repeated the misinformation.

In his blog, Kibbe apologized Sunday for the mistaken attribution of the crowd-size estimated to ABC News.

"With a dead IPhone, I had been shown tweets from a number of different folks behind the stage citing the ABC estimate," he wrote. "They didn't say it. I regret misrepresenting the network, as their coverage that day was fair and honest."

That's an incredible article.
First, I'm amazed how clueless the author is.
It's also funny how these people who want to support the "tens of thousands" figure love to take quotes and observations without any regard to when they were said.

For example, at the start of the paragraph, the author is perplexed by Jim Demint's comment that the New York Times was reporting that 500 people had turned out..... "Where DeMint read that story remains a mystery." IT WAS A JOKE. The media routinely and consistently UNDERSTATES the turn out to events like these and Demint was making a joke anticipating such a thing happening again.

Regarding the Kibbe quote, I think you linked it wrong.
ABC News Blog regarding Kibbe

Here's the complete blog written by Kibbe.

March On, My Friend
By mkibbe on Sep 13, 2009

The Morning After, I struggle to find the words to fully explain the significance of what happened yesterday at the March on Washington. The day belongs to the thousands of volunteers who joined together to organize this marvelous day. To those who worked so hard, and to every single American that marched: Thank You.

The crowd was HUGE. Any reporter that claims thousands, or even tens of thousands of attendees was either not there or was willfully misreporting the significance of the event.

The House Democratic Leadership predicted up to 2 million on Friday, presumably to knock down the actually attendees the next day. The Daily Mail estimated two million the day of the event. NBC estimated “hundreds of thousands.” What I know for sure is that there were at least hundreds of thousands of peaceful demonstrators that descended upon Freedom Plaza, jammed Pennsylvania Avenue from there to the Capitol for over 3 hours, swamped the West Front of the Capitol, and flooded down the Mall and various side streets. Our sound system, fully capable of reaching well over 100,000, was completely insufficient. According to the Washington Post, “a sea of people surrounded the Capitol reflecting pool, spilling across Third Street and along the Mall. The sound system did not reach far enough for people at the edges of the rally to hear the speakers onstage.” I also know that the size of the crowd that showed up to march up Pennsylvania Avenue almost immediately overwhelmed Freedom Plaza and completely shut down that whole section of the city. It was glorious chaos, made even more wonderful by the well-behaved, respectful and happy crowd. No fingers were bitten off, no windows smashed. I walked the March surrounded by fellow Americans that had come from all fifty states, overwhelmed by indisputable evidence that Americans uniquely treasure their freedoms, and will rise up to protect them no matter the cost or inconvenience. Check out this amazing Time lapsed video of the crowds marching from Freedom Plaza.

After 3 sleepless days, a bomb threat that emptied our offices on Friday, and experiencing one of the most overwhelmingly best days for economic freedom and individual liberty I have witnessed in my life, from the stage I cited ABC news estimating the crowd at the March on Washington at 1.5 million. I also said “with all due respect to our friends in mainstream media, we need our own independent head count. Trust but verify.” With a dead IPhone, I had been shown tweets from a number of different folks behind the stage citing the ABC estimate. They didn’t say it. I regret misrepresenting the network, as their coverage that day was fair and honest.

I suppose the error harms any future run I might have made for President. Judging from some of the nasty-grams that have been left on my office phone this past week, this will not disappoint some.

Speaking of bogus tweets, check out this whopper. David Schuster posted yesterday that “Freedomworks says their dc demonstration attracted 30,000 people. Park police official says that is being ‘generous.’” Come on Dave, get past your denial.

I hope that the Angry Left wants to continue to have a debate over how many hundreds of thousands of frustrated Americans took the extraordinary effort, time and resources necessary to commit themselves to attend the largest gathering of fiscal conservatives ever in Washington D.C. I also hope they continue to dismiss every one of us as “fake,” “AstroTurf,” “Un-American,” even “domestic terrorists.”

As the Most Interesting Man in the World might say: “March on, my friend.” And so we will. Post-9-12 March on Washington, there are now only two types of elected officials: Those who heard our message of less government and more freedom, and those to be held accountable.

I don't know what to conclude after reading that blog posting? Is it double speak? Is he being political with ABC only talking about their event or pre-event coverage, unaware of the 60-70k ABC estimate that contradicts everything else he's said and implied in the blog? I don't know.

And in candor, I'm not much of a fan of that organization. I think that they pulled the permits, but they aren't responsible for the crowd, nor- as they seem to want to project, they aren't leading any movement. They through a party, and tens, or hundreds, of thousands of people crashed it.

I think the comparison of photos (Obama/9-12) is pretty telling. And I have stated earlier here that 100,000 people who came on their own dime (where Kibbe states in your last bolded part) is a pretty amazing thing. Maybe next time they will realize when you march on the Capitol it is best to do it during the week, when the elected officials are at work, in the Capitol, and they can see you and hear you. I realize 9/12 has a special meaning to the group organizing this - but, they need to set aside that and figure out the best way to get their voices heard.

However, I guess the question would be - now what? A big rally in DC - so, more rallies? Doesn't there have to be at some point some organization to start to find a means to an end? They appear to want to change the political landscape - Beck is already calling for 56 're-signers' or something to that effect.

Will it be easy to get these people, who seem to be distrustful of organized politics into organized politics? It doesn't make much sense to vote people out of office if you don't have a viable alternative to vote into office. They seem to not like democrats or republicans at this point.

It is interesting Cal how you mentioned that you aren't a fan of the group that pulled the permits. It appears that some of the people who attended think somewhat the same way. They don't want to be 'labeled' as part of any group. Much as they vehemently deny that they aren't against just democrats or just republicans, that they are against all politicians that don't agree with their sentiment of less government. That could make it difficult for them to enact any change in the system. At some point you probably need to organize as a group - but if you are distrustful of groups, how do you get around the dichotomy?

For instance, when Martin Luther King, Jr. was at the mall speaking in '68, the opposition stated that at least 1,000,000 people would be showing up - and then they claimed it was a failure when only 250,000 people were there to hear him speak.
What opposition was that? Got a cite?

Members online

No members online now.
Back