88 tc power window problems

tclover70

New LVC Member
Reaction score
power windows won't go up or down..when I use the switches I hear the motor but nothing happens....any suggestions?

tclover70 said:
power windows won't go up or down..when I use the switches I hear the motor but nothing happens....any suggestions?

Not sure how the internals of the motor are, but it sounds like it is either the gears inside of the motor are shot, or the gear for the window itself is shot. :Beer

Are the motor's running or just kind of humming? Both my TC and my Conti have done that and it was the bushings that the windows run on in the regulator. The best way to tell if that's the problem is to take the door panel off and lube the s*** out of everything, tracks, regulator, and guides. If it's the bushings, it'll work afterward, but it'll be pretty slow. If thats the problem, check e-bay. There is a guy that sells the bushings for like $3.00. I lubed mine up real good on my TC and ran it with the panel off, spraying and running it up and down, and it works well enough to make me happy. With the door panel off, its real easy to check out what the motor's doing and if the gear is stripped or whatever.

Yea, if they are humming then it might be those bushings. They wear out and hang up in the regulator track. Lube it up and see what happens.

Just take off the door panel and try to spread grease in the tracks where the bushings ride, at the pivot points on the regulator, and anywhere else where it looks like something touches something. Taking a flathead screwdriver and spreading a little grease in the window track, all the way down into the door, may help too. If you get the panel off and get it moving, the places to grease will be a little more apparent.You'll probably have to grease places and "help" it up and down as you grease somemore. As you do this, it should get progressively better. If it has a 2 stage regulator with the power wing window that goes down first, there is quite a bit of places that can be greased. The wing window also makes it harder to remove the regulator, which is why I haven't fixed my TC, I just greased it and got it working good enough. Its not bad, just a little slow.

I did the lubricate thing and it looks as if the gears are slipping because th window will start to go down, not up, but this stop and I hear a poping sound a if the gears are missing...do I need to replace the gears?...If so would that entail replacing the motor?...thanks

It's real easy to see the gears on the regulator, so if they are stripped, it will be obvious. I would check first to see that the motor isn't loose. Its been a while but I think you can remove the motor with the regulator in the car. It should just have like 3 bolts holding it on.

I have the same problem with my back windows on my 88, windows keep sliding down too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back