87 TC Ignition Cylinder

Phantomhp

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, just picked up an 87 TC for $50 and just trying to fix a few problems on it.

Main thing right now is that when you turn the key to start it you have to hold the key in the ON position after starting or it will pop back and die.

I assume this means the locking device in the cylinder is bad so it needs to be changed out.

How do you go about changing it out?

I know some cylinders just have a spots where you stick a screwdriver and unlock it and it slides out and others you have to take apart the entire column.

Thanks,
Mike

:W to :V there is a small area under the ignition switch where you can use something to push a small pin and take out the ignition switch.

Well, that wasn't it. lol

I did find out it is the actually ignition switch plug about half way down the steering column. When you wiggle it the ignition goes on and off.

Is this an easy fix?

Thanks,
Mike

Not sure i have a 91 Town Car, i haven't run into that problem yet. Other Town Car owners may have your answer.

Got it figured out.

Easy fix and only took about 5 minutes to change out and now works perfectly fine.

Next problem though....

I know the headlight switch isn't fully working but when you turn the lights on and wiggle it all 4 headlights come on. Even when turning brights on and off they still have all 4 when they are on.

Any idea why this might happen?

Mike

A guy by the name of sixliter might be able to help you when he loggs on and see's this thread. Wish that i could help.

Well, I have found out that my headlight pull switch is probably bad. If you pull it out and turn it to lower the interior lights the headlights also go off.

But so far the only headlights that work are when you have the high beams on and all 4 are still on.

Also, is the only way to get into the truck going to be through taking off the back seat? The trunk is stuck in the up position but it is latched and the button in the glovebox doesn't seem to work. I don't have the original key for the trunk either.

Told you guys I would have alot of questions but it was a $50 car lol.

Mike

If you can get into the trunk somehow, you may want to see if the trunk release is plugged in, also check the button as well.

i have an 87 towncar also, and i had the same problem with the headlights/interior lights.
the switch that ford used is flimsy plastic that breaks easily. if you replace that knob it may eliviate your problem.

by the way do you have a digital dash, or mechanical?

The dash in mine is mechanical.

Well, took the back seat out along with that black lining behind it. Looked in the trunk and saw wires. Not sure what they are to so might assume they are to the trunk release since it doesn't work and the button is hooked up.

One of our local locksmiths (most used one here) doesn't even do trunk locks so I am unsure if the trunk is something I will ever see.

I could just bust up the lock but my luck it won't let go and I will just have a busted up lock now.

any other ideas?

Mike

Try following the wires to the truck release which should be against the latch. You could try jumping the wires on the latch and see if it will release it. If you can get it to open, you may want to get another one from a junkyard.

Update

Well, found a guy on a local race forum that works for pop-a-lock so he came out and got the trunk open for me. No charge which works out.

Well, noticed the motor on the trunk latch has a lot of build up on it and when tapped on with a screwdriver it hear it move alittle but still nothing from the button.

I will probably assume that the motor is shot and needs to be replaced at this point.

Anybody happen to have a used trunk motor for an 87 TC laying around? Also the center taillight with reverse light?

Mike

I had to replace the trunk pull down motor and the part on the trunk lid as well, i got them from salvage yard for $25.00. Check with the salvage yards in your area, you might get lucky and find a good unit.

If you can't find one, you can always try cleaning it. If the motor still works, the contacts may need to be cleaned.

Members online

No members online now.
Back