87% gas as opposed to 91-93%

jwolsen

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've used 87% for the last 5 fillups, and I haven't seen any change in gas mileage, performance, or noise. Has anyone else tried the lower octane gas and had different results. Thanks, Bill. 90% of my driving is highway which I put on cruise control at 55 and stay in right hand lane, and am gettting 30.4mpg highway, 10% intown I don't use a/c and get about 22mpg. Need feedback on regular unleaded as opposed to premium octane. Thanks, Bill.

Our engines have knock sensors. So you should be able to get away with 87 just fine. I've personally have never used it. I always use 93.

I use 87 mostly and once in a while some 93. I have no problems with economy or performance. My car is thirsty in the city 18-20 and highway 22-27 at 70mph.
Brad.

I use 93 octane every time. My car would "knock" while trying to pull the car up larger hills when I tried to use 87, and when I switched I also saw better fuel economy by a small margin. Most of my driving with the Continental is in my small town.

BTW I have a 2001.

Well

I used 87 most of the time. But I notice that I have hesitation, kind of a small bucking when using the low octane, goes away with the higher octane.

Always used 87 octane, works fine for me. Last month just in normal driving, commuting my gas bill was $575. ALL THE PARTS THAT COULD HAVE BOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The lowest octane that doesn't knock makes the most power. If it made a difference with current gas prices 87/89/91 of $3.55/$3.65/$3.75 I would put in the premium, but I get nothing EXCEPT certain times of the year usually winter we get that MTBL or whatever added to Calif gas and then I need 89, but since I don't know I need it until I get some uphill knock I end up putting in 91 until its running better.

*** note all cars are different for various reasons, one thing being oil consumption, some oils will reduce the octane if its getting in the combustion chamber (rings or valve guides leaking oil).

I have the v6 and i filled it up with 87 last month to try it and it knocked like hell and I had a terrible vibration through the car. i threw in some octane boost and drained half the tank and refilled with 94 and the car went back to normal. I would love to use regular seeing how I drive about 100 miles a day and its all city traffic.

Update, last week i had to put in 87 because they were out of everything else, I was on E and theirs only one station by us. Threw a SES light in a half hour. Filled up with premium drove alittle bit, then unhooked my battery for 5 minutes. Everything is good now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back