'87 Eldo start problem..Please Help!!

tonylinc

LVC Member
Reaction score
I rescued my father-in-law's 87 Eldo from a field where he parked it 2 yrs ago. Said the alternator quit charging the batt. So, I got a new battery and tried to start it: No crank at all, and with lights on turning it to cranking position doesn't dim the lights at all. So I took off the starter & had it tested....it's Fine! SO...what could be the problem??? Anyone who has any ideas would be much appreciated. Soon as I can get 'er started THEN she'll get cleaned up!

IMG_0804.JPG

Maybe try testing the ignition switch, but really that thing belongs in a junkyard.

Check the battery cables for corrosion. You may have to replace the positive cable if it's eaten by acid. Also, you should remove the negative ground and clean it up. Sitting for two years is a long time for a car and most likely there is going to be corrosion and/or bad contacts. Check or replace the fuses for the ignition circuit. From what you said, I tend to believe the ground connection from the battery is bad and/or the positive cable is corroded. Once the starter gets juice it will at least crank.

You should change the oil before you try to start it. Sitting around for two years is not good for the plugs and they may be rusted. I would at least replace the plugs with cheap standard ones before I try to start. If it does start on two-year plugs it may not fire on all cylinders or it may even backfire. Also, drain and replace gas. Also be aware that the injectors may not fire correctly, so that may also be a problem.

Glad I didn't take your advice!!!

thamarkman said:
Maybe try testing the ignition switch, but really that thing belongs in a junkyard.
Well I looked & looked *Looked some more, and finally learned about the anti theft device: when the battery goes dead or is replaced, the anti theft activates, causing a no-start. You must lock the doors with power door locks THEN unlock drivers door w/key and Voila! The starter will now get juice. It still wouldn't start, though, after sitting 3+ years. I pulled out spark plugs, squirted 3-4 oz. light oil in the plugs holes and waited a couple days during which time I changed the oil and filter. Put in new spark plugs, cranked it up and after 5 tries, it fired up!! Runs GREAT!!! Took 2 days to wash it 3 times just to get the exterior looking good again, the hood was worst and I got some color-back car wax and it is much better. Yesterday I sold the car for $1300!!!!!!! Thanks for your advice :N :F

Here's a photo of her all cleaned up and happy again!

87 Eldorado bought from my dad-in-law for $100 and fixed for price of 8 spark plugs and 5 qts oil & filter. Runs well and sold for 1200 profit. Not bad for a couple o weekends ...would have got it running quicker than that if it hadn't been for all that beer!!

lean1.jpg

MAC1 said:
Check the battery cables for corrosion. You may have to replace the positive cable if it's eaten by acid. Also, you should remove the negative ground and clean it up. Sitting for two years is a long time for a car and most likely there is going to be corrosion and/or bad contacts. Check or replace the fuses for the ignition circuit. From what you said, I tend to believe the ground connection from the battery is bad and/or the positive cable is corroded. Once the starter gets juice it will at least crank.

You should change the oil before you try to start it. Sitting around for two years is not good for the plugs and they may be rusted. I would at least replace the plugs with cheap standard ones before I try to start. If it does start on two-year plugs it may not fire on all cylinders or it may even backfire. Also, drain and replace gas. Also be aware that the injectors may not fire correctly, so that may also be a problem.
*****hey thanks for your advice I did change the oil that probably helped quite a bit the old oil was pretty black also had say 3 years. new thing I learned about those anti theft which disables the starter... the car is happy now. the couple who bought it from me are happy with it. it even gets to sit in a garage at night now, after being in washington state's rain for 3 yrs!! LOL :give :yourock: :wave

Members online

No members online now.
Back