86 5.0L continental, want to install trickflow or holley topend kit

stratfellow3

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post and I have an 86 Lincoln Continental 5.0L
I want some power from this non-HO 5.0 so I am thinking about getting the kit Holley and TrickFlow makes that replaces heads, cam, timing kit, roller rockers and etc.
Probably the Trickflow since its a little cheaper and comes with valve covers for heads
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-K514-350-370&FROM=MG
so there is a little over $2k alone

I know it recommends 30lb injectors, 190lph fuel pump, and 70mm throttle body/EGR spacer
so all that stuff is around $600 if bought new

Also I will have to change to dual exhaust, probably use piping LSC mark vii uses to make dual exhaust and just use flowmaster mufflers (has anyone done dual exhaust on 86 lincoln conti or similar?)

Also I will have to add traction-lok rearend
found that http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FMS-M-4204-F288&FROM=MG
so thats another ~$200

So another question is that is there anyway to just get some chip for the stock speed density EFI instead of MAF or would i have to convert with all the big fuel system changes? cause i assume a chip would be cheaper than a MAF conversion

also any approx numbers on HP if i were to do this staying with speed density if thats feasible?
should be 350hp/370torque as advertised if it were done on 86 mustang gt correct?

MAF is preferred over SD systems. I am not sure how much modding a SD will take before puking. but since your talking cam, heads, ect.. probably will be beyond the SD's capability.

okay so then that kit will work on my car correct since its a 5.0L just stock different heads and cam and etc. than a HO mustang 5.0?

ohh right i noticed that over at lincolnsonline awhile ago, stock 5.0 is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 and for HO its 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, correct? which i would need to use after MAF since mustang ecu uses it of course.

Other than that thats all that would need to be altered besides that plethora of parts i would need to get, but going from 150hp/280torque to 350hp/370torque would be pretty incredible

make sure your AOD (I suspect you have an AOD) is up to par... its an old trans with some known age issues that may need addressing if they havent been yet.

yup right on the money again, i do have an AOD, what kind of issues would i need to be addressing?
It runs very well still can catch some tire squiel of the line if ya gun it, which my dad says did when we first got it so its in good shape, but do you mean i need to beef up internals or soemthing or shift kit?

okay so i read that shift kit can help life of transmission and i read that transgo is the kit to get, which kit would be recommended?
the high performance one that comes with hirev part or just the regular AOD kit they offer for AODs?

which shift kit you get will depend on what your wanting it to do. if your mostly just looking to beef it up so it dont die on ya early, the regular one should work fine. if your looking to make it a high performance car, then the other one probably.

one thing to make sure is right when your done with the work (and before it hits the road AT ALL), is to make sure the TV bushing is good (and updated to the brass one thats avail if you have the plastic/nylon one). if that cable comes off, it will drop the pressures inside the trans down to next to nothing, then you will cook it in very short order if driven like that. Also, by making small changes in the adjustment of the cable (makeing cable shorter) you can increase the shift points slightly without a shift kit.

Not all AOD's die early.. I got a 92 cougar with almost 170k on it, with no maintainance on it all (not even fluid changes), and its still ticking. I did have to replace the bushing I mentioned earlier, cost me all of $6.00 at the local FLM dealer. Best 6 bones I ever spent I think.

Members online

No members online now.
Back