'84 Mark Seven Dash Lights

hdson

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have the digital dash and it stopped working. It will sometimes show, but the numbers are jumbled up. Acting very strange, sometimes when I turn the lights on, they flash. And other times when I hit the high beam they appear briefly. The dimmer has no effect on adjusting it. I hate to sell it because of this problem...Any help??

I have the digital dash and it stopped working. It will sometimes show, but the numbers are jumbled up. Acting very strange, sometimes when I turn the lights on, they flash. And other times when I hit the high beam they appear briefly. The dimmer has no effect on adjusting it. I hate to sell it because of this problem...Any help??

In the case of an erratic display involving more than one display component, the manual diagnostics point to frayed wires, dirty, corroded or loose connections, behind the Instrument Cluster. If a single component was acting up, there are various remedies.

Is Message Center illumination also acting up? Is any type of "code", like the letters CO or CS being displayed? Details help narrow down the possibilities. There are 20 pages of diagnostics and testing covering a whole lot of symptoms.

Assuming the only symptom is a generally erratic display illumination, the bottom line is wire connections are at fault. If wires and connections are absolutely positively OK, then the display itself is bad and should be replaced (according to the manual). Spending $20 for a "new" display from an auto wrecker might be preferable to just abandoning your car in their parking lot.

If you want to pull the display, it looks pretty easy.. I don't have the electronic display in my car so all i know is the manual's instructions.
------
4 screws hold the finish panel. "Rotate top toward the steering wheel". There's one electrical connector behind that and one air sensor connection. (A hose is my guess). Disconnect those. Remove the finish panel.

Then 6 screws attach the instrument panel. "Rotate toward the steering wheel and remove."

Then, 4 screws hold that unit together (cluster and panel). One electrical connector is in the corner at the rear..

dash lites

My message center works. Sometimes the dash will light up, but jumbled. All outside lighrs, turn signals work...I posted it for sale on here. Have no choice, new garage is too small..Thanks for your help though.

I'll never understand why they put the window and mirror switches directly under the cup holder. When I first got my car, the windows and mirrors were erratic / non functional like yours, and the fix was to remove the panel, disassemble the switches where necessary, and clean out all the dried Coca-Cola and filth..

Good luck with the sale.. I'm wondering how you came up with that asking price.

How I came up with the asking price? Well, I gave $1,100 for the car.. New radiator, water pump, exhaust. It adds up. Very decent car. It's not wrecked and very little rust. The body parts are worth over $500. That's a asking price. I'd knock off a couple hundred if it would sell it. Not fond of selling it, but will not have a garage for it.

Members online

Back