84 mark 7 hot rod 428ci

Htrlman1

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been doing this project for about 7 months now. It's been a real blast doing everything. Here are some pics of the project. The engine is a 78 351m bored .030 over and i put a 400 rotating assembly. total cubic inch is 428. .519 lift on intake and exhaust with 278 duration. Mallory distributor, with a 800cfm Holley double pumper. Did have some issues fitting it in tho, considering there is only a 1/4 inch between the manifolds and the wheel wells.

photo54.jpg

This was the car when i bought it.

photo55.jpg

photo67.jpg

photo66.jpg

photo68.jpg

photo69.jpg

photo70.jpg

can't wait to have it on the dyno. The car has so much torque tho. I put the t5 in it so lets see how long it last.

Oh man, you pulled the dash? That was a total sleeper before the interior job. It is hard to find a dash that is not weathered and cracked, you might be able to sell yours for a decent amount.

Really, the dash has been sitting inside the shop. I'll keep it in mind, it did have a couple of cracks tho.

ya but the terrible paint makes the scoop look like a poser, thanks again guys

Thanks for viewing on you tube. Car is almost finished now.

Wow! That should be one helluva fast Mark VII. Kinda sucks you gutted the interior though. I guess you're not going to drive it on the street?

And just an FYI: Your new 351M is not 428 cid. It is actually 408 cid. The 351M and 400M had a 4.00" bore. An .030" overbore will make it 4.03". The 400M had a 4.00" stroke. So if you have a 4.03" bore and a 4.00" stroke, using the formula:
(BxB)(S)(.7854)(C) where B = Bore, S = Stroke, and C = number of cylinders, you come up with 408.179 cubic inches. Or you can use the formula for volume of a cylinder and multiply by 8 and come up with 407.971 cubes. Sorry to cut 20 cubic inches off your estimate, but it just didn't sound right to me. I still like it though. I've always kinda liked the Modified Cleveland engines. Especially if they're built.

Wow! That should be one helluva fast Mark VII. Kinda sucks you gutted the interior though. I guess you're not going to drive it on the street?

And just an FYI: Your new 351M is not 428 cid. It is actually 408 cid. The 351M and 400M had a 4.00" bore. An .030" overbore will make it 4.03". The 400M had a 4.00" stroke. So if you have a 4.03" bore and a 4.00" stroke, using the formula:
(BxB)(S)(.7854)(C) where B = Bore, S = Stroke, and C = number of cylinders, you come up with 408.179 cubic inches. Or you can use the formula for volume of a cylinder and multiply by 8 and come up with 407.971 cubes. Sorry to cut 20 cubic inches off your estimate, but it just didn't sound right to me. I still like it though. I've always kinda liked the Modified Cleveland engines. Especially if they're built.

Mis calculation my bad, but it's still a monster to fit in te engine bay.

I don't doubt it. It's quite a bit wider than a 302. But I've seen 460's in 80's T-Birds with little modifications. However, you have to pull the engine just to change the spark plugs:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back