8 track help

04SSHD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought some old 8 track tapes to play in the lincoln (tired of listening to AM radio) now I just recieved the first Johnny Cash tape today and I poped it in to play it and nothing happened. I hear a little bit of white noise when I turn the volume all the way up but thats it. Now please forgive my youthful ignorance, but this is my first 8 track experience being that I am only 22 years old... Am I not doing something right or is there a problem with the 8 track player or tape?

here is my setup- anyone know how to work this dinosaur?
69mark3%20046.jpg

It might just be that it has not been used in a super long time, or the belts could have rotted. Let the tape play and move through the tracks and see if it wakes up. A little alcohol on the head might help, use high quality applicators (look like Qtips but dont shed - get them at radio-shack or audio stores).

Worth a try anyway.

i will give it a shot, I put the tape in and I can hear the motor turning, just no sound comes out of the speakers...

Alright, I marked the roller on the tape and inserted the tape into the player. Waited a minute or two and pulled it out and it did not move. So that means the band is broken? Any suggestions on how/where to get it fixed or replaced?

If the tape isn't moving with several different 8-track tapes, then you might as well yank the unit, pop it open and check the drive belt. If the drive belt is intact, then I think you might as well look for another unit or possibly send it away for repair. If the drive belt is broken, then you can probably get a replacement. Here's where I'd go first...

http://www.8trackheaven.com/resource.html#repair

I have an old home player and a few dozen original tapes. The problem I always run into when trying to play them is that the tape holding the two ends of the loop together deteriorates with age, making the tape useless. I suspect that you'll run into this quite often, which may make the project even more frustrating.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.
Back