8.8 rear rebuild kit

NJ95MARK8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
im looking for a 8.8 rear rebuild kit.
im installing cobra 430's with a 28 spline trac loc into the marks rear.
but im confused on what rebuilt kit to get for the 8.8.

how hard is it to just pop the cover and install a trac lok? i got one when i was at carlisle, and i want it in even if i dont get gears just yet.

Get gears otherwise big waste of time as you still have to pull adleast one axle totally out and dop the center section out. The gears have to be setup with the trac loc. It is not a piece you throw in threr with omly pulling off the cover. Have somebody competent to install the trac lok and gears into the center section, cause if done wrong you could mess up quite a few bucks. Also note that you will be lowering you exhaust, to get at all of this.

Roadboss said:
Get gears otherwise big waste of time as you still have to pull adleast one axle totally out and dop the center section out. The gears have to be setup with the trac loc. It is not a piece you throw in threr with omly pulling off the cover. Have somebody competent to install the trac lok and gears into the center section, cause if done wrong you could mess up quite a few bucks. Also note that you will be lowering you exhaust, to get at all of this.

fun fun, sounds like im gonna have to try for myself when i get a weeks worth of free garage time! Gotta start sometime eh???

Just finished this very job in The TerminVIIIor.

Its a slap job imho, with the proper tools and a lift. AT home on the groung with hand tools = a TOTAL NIGHTMARE!

Make sure to get the carrier stid kit and do the one axel method.

ONEBADMK8 said:
Just finished this very job in The TerminVIIIor.

Its a slap job imho, with the proper tools and a lift. AT home on the groung with hand tools = a TOTAL NIGHTMARE!

Make sure to get the carrier stid kit and do the one axel method.
axle method?

From what I've heard the only big deal is pinion depth, which I've heard you'll be OK just reusing the shims that were in the rear. I haven't worked on a rear myself other than pulling a junkyard 8.8 for the trac loc and disassembling it. If I find my respirator (or decide to buy a new one) I will be trying the 4.10 and trac loc install myself. I have strong stomach most of the time but I gagged and puked a little bit draining and disassembling the one from the junkyard.

Members online

No members online now.
Back