'70 Challenger w/IRS

O1ETC

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm resto rodding a '70 Challenger,The rear end setup is an IRS coupled to a big block 4 Speed and 440. The front end is going to utilize torsion bars,I went to .960" which is a step up from stock big block bars.

I don't know about you but I like the feel of the Mopars w/torsion bar suspension but I don't care for the live axle. So I think it will be a sweet car to drive with the IRS and beefed bars up front. I plant use 17's and 18's with 40 series tires,about 9"-10" rubber front and back.

I'm having a problem locating a drop spindle for the front of the Challenger. Anybody know of a company selling them? I would appreciate any info you have for me on this. I want to drop the front 2" but not using the sway bars to do it. I want the full travel of the tosion bars.

The body is being smoothed,no door handles,etc. Lots of body work has already been completed on the car. I'm getting stoked about starting to put it back together. It will be painted before the engine is installed.

Anyway that's what I'm doing. I will appreciate any input you might have about my project. Thanks.

You will gain nothing by going to IRS. There ar tons of E-Body road racers who use live axle suspensions and leaf springs. See a good suspension gy to figure out how to tune it right.

IRS vs.Live

Thanks for your input,I may be all wet on this,but I just finised doing a '73 Camaro with a new 12 bolt using the new Detroit Ltd. slip,Hotchkis springs,Moser mounts,Strange axles, 9" rubber,cost me more to do than the IRS setup I'm doing now and,yes it hooks great,very smooth now,but it still has basically the same feel as it did stock. I went to a 5 speed Tremec transmission,replacing the M21 4speed,I like that a lot.

I suppose I just want to experience it for myself,as far as tuning goes the IRS is fully adjustable and with a sway bar,I think it will be great to drive. It's too late to turn back now,all the guys who are doing this same thing think it's great,and of course it looks cool......

Just go with it then. If it's already in there, it won't kill yo. You might find you have more wheelhop when it is done though.

Wheel hop

I've heard this setup is not what you want for straight line driving,drag racing,etc. I plan to do a lot of cornering with it. I agree with you,this is a weak setup for drag racing,I've heard some of the serious newer Mustang racers have taken the IRS out and replaced it with a live axle rear end for better traction,I don't know if they were experiencing wheel hop but it's possible.

The IRS will have to be tuned to this car to work well,but I believe there is more to work with in this setup than with the original rear end,and for what I plan to do with the car it should be an improvement. We'll have to wait and see. To tell you the truth I'm more concerned about what to do with the front end at this point. I'm sticking with the stock setup with beefier torsion bars. Of course it will be all new,but old technology. I think it will be okay,but I still haveen't found a source for drop spindles for a Challenger. Know of anyone?

Members online

No members online now.
Back