6x9's stopped working all of a sudden.

Hawk

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I don't know what happened I was driving turned on the beats and wasn't getting any base and sounded weak. I adjusted the fade on the stock HU to the rear speakers only and just the door speakers were playing and as suspected the 6x9's were not playing anything. I did let my girlfriend drive the car previously but i doubt the speakers blew.

Any ideas??? I tested all fuses were good, even under the hood.
Is it possible the amp fried? I dunno
I need help

if you have the version where you can see the bottom of the speakers from inside the trunk, i would try hooking something else up to the speaker wire to see if it is the subs or the amp.

i would also test to see if there is power at the harness for the amp with a meter.

Have you checked the bass setting? The stock speakers in the package tray are subwoofers, not full-range, so if the bass is tuned all the way down you wouldn't get anything out of them. Fade shouldn't affect them at all.

if you have the version where you can see the bottom of the speakers from inside the trunk, i would try hooking something else up to the speaker wire to see if it is the subs or the amp.

i would also test to see if there is power at the harness for the amp with a meter.
I have year 2000 with alpine system, I tested the harness that plugs into the amp in the trunk with a test light and the light came on in one of the pins. I cannot see any subs/speakers there is a big black shield that covers them, However the amp is exposed.

I have checked the bass and the DSP settings. To access the subs in the rear deck, do I have to remove the deck from the inside or the big black shield in the trunk??

The black cover in the back comes off. I think Mr. Howee posted a thread showing how to do it.

If you shine a light in the holes of the bottom of the package tray, you can see the torx screws in there (think they are torx). Think its at least 6 of them

If yours happens to be broken or fried, I will be removing my factory amp and subs later this week - 02 LS with Alpine

That would be alot of work.. I can pull my factory amp for you anytime you like. I was going to try to look up how much they are going for.

That would be alot of work.. I can pull my factory amp for you anytime you like. I was going to try to look up how much they are going for.

Im from Canada S&H would probably be too much. It would be easier if I just go to an auto wrecker. It looks like the same amp is used in expeditions, explorers, maybe mustang too.
I was thinking of just cutting the harness just before the old amp, then using the wires to power the amp I linked in the previous post. Would this work??

Im from Canada S&H would probably be too much. It would be easier if I just go to an auto wrecker. It looks like the same amp is used in expeditions, explorers, maybe mustang too.
I was thinking of just cutting the harness just before the old amp, then using the wires to power the amp I linked in the previous post. Would this work??

It should (not sure how well) as long as the amp will turn on with only 7V on the turn on (not the power) wire that comes from the headunit.

I bought a new cd deck to replace the factory one, I also purchased the wiring harness BHA5700 (3 plugs, no rca)
I have 00 LS6 Alpine with rear 6x8 subs.
1. Is this the right harness?

I bought a new cd deck to replace the factory one, I also purchased the wiring harness BHA5700 (3 plugs, no rca)

You need the plug with the RCA's for the rear subs

I see, so the rca's plug into the back of the new deck allowing the subs to function?
What if I decide to not use the rear subs (They are currently removed along with factory defective amp)

I see, so the rca's plug into the back of the new deck allowing the subs to function?
What if I decide to not use the rear subs (They are currently removed along with factory defective amp)

All the main speaker and power wires are on the single plug.. If you aren't running the rear subs, you do not need to wire up any of the amp turn on wires, or use the plug with the rca's. The main speakers are not amplified and are simply powered from the deck.

You could of wired it up without having to buy a new headunit. The factory amp is garbage so I ditched it for a Memphis amp I had laying around.

99B897F4-7CD1-4CB4-AA54-3C515E859A12-584-000000CDA65FB3B1.jpg

FFB7F81C-475F-4BC2-A9D8-E66539DC508E-584-000000CDABC4FC9A.jpg

I bought these: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136XDCLR2S/JL-Audio-XD-CLRAIC2-SW.html?tp=2802
...and spliced into the factory speaker output wires that plugged into the old factory amp. It runs those factory speakers fine but you're better off getting an aftermarket sub with box. Regardless the new headunit should have RCA outputs for your sub amp so you'd just have to run new wires from the dash to the rear.

Members online

Back