6x9 speakers

Dsweat

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was looking into replacing the speakers in the front and rear doors. Would I be able to install 6x9 speakers in the doors?

No. 6x9 will not fit.

They are larger and generally deeper. Go with 6.5" coaxial or component speakers for the doors. A cheap adaptor is all it takes to get them in there.

agreed, 6x9s are not the same as 6x8s, since the factory speaker is placed into an adapter that sticks out a good bit from the door, there is not really much room at all for the hole to be enlarged. you will want to either stick with the factory size (not really a lot of options for top end speakers) or as mentioned above, for the best sound quality, go with a good 6.5 coaxial or component speaker and an adapter (some even come with the adapter)

if you really wanted to, i guess you could glass your own adapter, but then you would be putting a lot of work into making the wrong sized speaker fit, especially since there are a lot of better sounding speakers that will fit

I have 4 6x8 Infinity Kappa's rated for 100 watts rms in the doors powered by an old school Rockford 600a4.
They sound really good and can take the power.

No. 6x9 will not fit.

They are larger and generally deeper. Go with 6.5" coaxial or component speakers for the doors. A cheap adaptor is all it takes to get them in there.

This adapter is only needed for coaxial speakers and not if I go with 6x8, right?

I've never done speakers myself, so I just want to be sure I have everything I need before I get in there.

I have 4 6x8 Infinity Kappa's rated for 100 watts rms in the doors powered by an old school Rockford 600a4.
They sound really good and can take the power.

I totally agree. I'm on my second pair in my car and love they way they sound. Something happened to my first set that I had in all four doors and they blew. Couldn't really determine the cause but I just knew the sounds wasn't clear and crisp. Had thought about going with another set but couldn't because I was so use to the sound quality that the Kappas had.

This adapter is only needed for coaxial speakers and not if I go with 6x8, right?

I've never done speakers myself, so I just want to be sure I have everything I need before I get in there.

The adaptor is needed if you run 6.5s (round speakers) in the doors as the hole for the OEM speaker is for 6x8s.

The OEM speakers have a plug you so you can take them out without cutting the wires.... if you are up for the work. I just cut them out and wired up the new Alpine set. The hard part is getting the door panel off. Alpine Type R 6.5" in all the doors here with a 12 in the trunk. Thinking of plugging in some 6x9s in the rear deck though...

Members online

No members online now.
Back