600$ for crankshaft sensor and harness

Cronos

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ford is charging me 642$ for installing crank shaft sensor and harness. Are they wanking me?

Lincoln ls v6 2005

The sensor is $25. I'm not sure how hard it is to change on the V6, but on the V8 it is a five minute job.

The harness could be expensive depending on how much is on that one harness.
A good independent shop would probably repair the harness instead of replacing it. The dealers always replace instead of repair.

They should be able to provide a written estimate with the parts and labor charges indicated. It would be interesting to see how that breaks out.

I'll post the in depth cost after I get wanked. Piss me off. 2/3 of the price is labor..

2/3 of the price is labor..

While wiring is not hard, it can be time-consuming, especially if replacing the harness means unwrapping it from another one. You might ask to see the parts that will be used, and if it's just a matter of unplugging one connector and plugging in another, take the job on yourself. If that's the case then it should just be a matter of starting at the sensor and unwinding the harness until you reach the other end. If it's a bunch of pigtails, it will involve unwrapping the harness far enough back to get to the wires, then cutting the old wiring in and installing the new. This means cut a wire, match it to the new harness, strip both wires back, slide heatshrink over one end, solder the two wires together, slide on the heatshrink, and heat. Being a crank sensor, we should only be talking about 2 wires here.

Members online

No members online now.
Back