6% Fuel economy boost using an oil additive

jim6669jim

LVC Member
Reaction score
I know , I know, you're thinking snake oil.....

2000 LS V8 auto, 170K miles, M1 synthetic oil, 93 octane, avg about 22/23 mostly highway 65-75 driving. Dash readout matches calculated by 0.3 mpg

I tried an oil additive from a company whose diesel fuel injector cleaner I had tried and was very happy with after it reduced exhaust smoke by 3/4 in my VW TDI and F-250.

It's Lubri-Moly MS02 2009, 300mL added to oil.
Getting 25mpg on dash now under same usage, about a 6% increase.
It costs $7.50 at NAPA and I estimate it can save $75 during the OCI.

Several others reported similar increases, and one UOA on a BMW with wearing connecting rod bearings showed almost a 1/2 reduction in wear metals.
Only caveat is that the molybdenum(?) might coat the plugs in an engine burning a lot of oil.

I have been a little more open-minded to additives since owning my 6.0 Powerstroke with injectors going out.

I put synthetic Rotella T6 5w-40 and on a cold start it will misfire and carry on until coolant and oil temp gets to about 170°

Added Archoil oil additive and it immediately quit its idle misfire. It would still miss a little but it would all go away between 130°-140° and it made the truck alot better for short trips.

In the case of my PSD I always knew it was a band-aid and over the past two years the injectors have gotten worse. It now doesn't run right until about 180° and has just a few seconds of cold start idle miss. But none of that matters because the head gaskets are fried LOL

Members online

No members online now.
Back