5R55S Valve Body Question

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am now replacing the solenoid (OEM from Ford Parts Giant) in my '04 V8 with 5r55s. After getting the solenoid out (geez that connector bolt is still a b*tch) I was wiping off the valve body and noticed a couple of the valves moved quite easily compared to the others. As you may recall, my issue is a "P0174 TCC stuck off" code. I did a video, hopefully I can get it loaded. A couple of the TCC (or what I believe are the TCC valves) seem to move quite easily in and out. Not sure if that is how they should be or not. One is right next to the solenoid and the other is on the passenger side across from the solenoid.

Here are a couple of freeze frame pictures since my video isn't cooperating.

I also posted it on the FB in an effort to get the video off my phone.

Valve Body 1.png

Valve Body 2.png

I uploaded the video to Youtube and fixed the link...[yes, I did remove the orange gasket for the filter.]

Sounds like maybe some weak or broken springs... but that is usually a 1st Gen issue.

Some people on here use the following link for tranny parts. They have revised parts that supposedly improve the 5r55s.

Sounds like maybe some weak or broken springs... but that is usually a 1st Gen issue.

Some people on here use the following link for tranny parts. They have revised parts that supposedly improve the 5r55s.

Yep!!! Got a whole ‘new’ upgraded Sonnax valve body.

Got the new valve body and solenoid in! I measured how much fluid came out both from the initial pan drop and from what was caught in my catch pan…over 7 quarts!

Once I got everything back together, properly torquing all bolts, I pumped 7 quarts into the pan. I then disconnected the return hose to the tranny from the cooler and had a neighbor turn the engine on for a few seconds while I directed the fluid from the disconnected hose to a bucket I put graduated quart marks on the side.

I drained and filled an additional 7 quarts in an effort to get as much of the Mercon LV that was in there out. The fluid that was draining when I stopped was bright red!!!

Once I reconnected the cooler hose, I let the car run and shifted through the gears several times stopping for 5-10 seconds in each gear.

I left the full hose connected and when I took it off, no fluid came out. I had to add an additional quart and then it streamed out then just drips!!!

All this paid off!!! It shifts better than it ever has and NO E code and I can clearly feel the torque converter clutch engage!!!!

Thanks for everyone’s help!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back