5r55n transmission rebuild kit

fabrizio

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, the forum is so helpfull,ty!:V

2001 lincoln ls v8

I'm plannaing to rebuild the transmission so I'll buy the rebuild kit and a transgo shift kit.

I'm not sure Which rebuild kit should I buy ,

These are my options :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351146017531
s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8075008294
38_12.jpg

I just can see :

kit "1" include reverse band / less bushing kit

kit "2" no reverse band / includes bushing kit

any tip ?

thank you!

best regards!

If you're going to go to the trouble to rebuild it, I'd replace all wear parts so I'd suggest kit 2, then ask about the missing bushing kit and reverse band.

Well, actually I'd send it to a really good rebuild shop and tell them to do a complete rebuild with all new wear parts, but that's me. Some jobs I leave to the experts.

I bought the kit#2 and the transgo shift kit.

Yes,I agree with you,sadly I could not find any shop, there's a lot but not specialized and some of them don't make me feel confident,so that's why We'll do the job.
Some of them just try to get every penny from you :shifty: aside of that I have to import all parts from everywhere to Mexico. :p

I don't think it's a easy cake job,but well , wish me luck, I've been reading the 5r55n manual and watching a lot of videos,my friend has almost the tools required.

Thanks for reply,

best regards!

Kinda odd that Shift Solenoids are not included in the aforementioned rebuilding kits.

You'd think that would be the part you'd want to get at.

Good luck then. Hey, just so you know the LS trans is the same one that comes in the Ford SUVs. Should open the market for you a bit on getting it rebuilt, should you want to try that option.

Kinda odd that Shift Solenoids are not included in the aforementioned rebuilding kits.

You'd think that would be the part you'd want to get at.

Well, that would double the cost of the kit. That would be annoying if you had just purchased and installed new solenoids only to discover that you needed the other rebuild parts.

Good luck then. Hey, just so you know the LS trans is the same one that comes in the Ford SUVs. Should open the market for you a bit on getting it rebuilt, should you want to try that option.

Nearly the same.

thanks to everyone!

The rebuild kit's its on way , a long long tip xD

Yeah,The solenoid could be in bad shape,I hope no xD, as far as I can see, the car did not get maintenance correctly and well it's a 15 year old car :p

best regards!

Well, that would double the cost of the kit. That would be annoying if you had just purchased and installed new solenoids only to discover that you needed the other rebuild parts.

You're not thinking outside the box this evening Joe, I was attempting to make a reference that someone whom is about to rebuilt a transmission may have opted for a rebuilt kit that would include a solenoid. Surely re-sellers could offer an option package of this rebuilding kit w/ solenoid.

Perhaps it's just me, maybe I can not understand clearly why someone would rebuild to that extend but not order a shift solenoid. Of course the option of desperately wanting to open that trans twice is always a possibility, not sure. <shrugs>

its actually pretty simple bud, just also order the solenoid block if you want them...

back to the original plan:

5R55N LINCOLN LS Auto Transmission SUPER MASTER REBUILD KIT w/ solenoid.

Imagine, just imagine ~ if they had an option of purchasing this kit with an already included solenoid, which the OP is going to need.

Get where I was going with this or are we going to take a piss on it some more.

I guess I don't really get the point...

I'm smart enough to know or figure out what I need ahead of time...

I'm not to lazy as to where making a few extra clicks of the mouse isn't going to bother me.

food for though, none of the parts in that kit look like OEM Motorcraft parts, and if I'm buying a solenoid pack, I definitely would want to get a OEM one, not a "OEM quality" one...

Near enough that a rebuilder wouldn't be confused.

I'd opt for the most complete kit with as many wear items as possible, then purchase what wasn't included separately. My preference would be for a complete kit, but if not available...

Then there is the not included option to fix the ever so popular servo bore wear aka sleeve. or even the PCM repair.

IMO: I wouldn't even attempt this, if the tranny is done, it's time to bring it to a good reputable shop and discuss options. Last thing I would want to do is tear into to replace such internals to only discover it really needed a solenoid along with a filter and fluid chance. Having done that and then finding out it still didn't correct the problem, needing a PCM repair ... well color me purple at that point, no?

We have a speed shop around here that specializes in transmissions, local referral from the parts guy at the Ford/Lincoln dealership. Said, all tranny work goes to this guy around here. They supposedly even test their rebuilt on a big motor in house, offer shift kits also along with warranty.

I can see my wallet making the visit if I can't correct my issue with a simply solenoid swap w/ filter & fluid.

Joe, Loud1, you both win the internet today!
Dumb of me to dare suggest that any transmission rebuilding kit sold, could possibly be offered with a shift solenoid.

Members online

No members online now.
Back