5R55N Trans. Problems

s-type guy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ahoy !
I recently purchased a 2002 Jaguar S-Type and I am told it is fitted with the 5R55N transmission.
May I ask, please, for assistance in solving a problem ?
(Please note: I am a hobbyist mechanic, lay on my back in the driveway under the car on ramps - so, I'll be needing to find a shop in the Greater Chicago Metro or northern sub-urbs with which I can work.)

The issue: Shifter lever must be pulled as far back as possible and the engine RPM increased slightly to engage Drive. Once engaged, trans. remains in gear and car drives fine. (I've yet to have the trans fluid level checked on this very recent purchase. I'm just starting to go through it.).

Has anyone had this problem? Any educated guesses on the cause?

Also, I understand the components to be upgraded/repaired on this type trans include: servos, solenoid valves, shifter mechanism for the J-gate. This correct ? Anything more or less ?

Thank you.

Regards.

I've not had that problem or even heard of it. I'd start with the simplest---check to see if there is some misalignment in the shifter or something interfering with the stick movement. Maybe you'll get lucky!

KS

Linkage and/or DTR adjustment?
Hello.
Thank you.
I am trying to find procedure for adjusting the cable that attaches to the shift lever @ J-gate. I also understand that a plastic piece there is prone to cracking breakage.
What is "DTR" ? I do not know that acronym.
Regards.

Digital Transmission Range - it tells the PCM what gear you want.

Members online

Back