5r55n trans compatibility (v6 vs. v8)

jmtsstewart

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Well, my honeymoon is over with my '01 v6 (107k) because after 3 weeks the trans died the day after i replaced the clockspring.

It has reverse and acts like it has drive (although delayed), until i give it gas and then it seems like it just goes into neutral. It doesn't matter which drive gear it is in, and i just tried to replace the solenoid block and that didn't fix it. It may be a problem within the valve body, but i don't have the resources to work through that quickly enough.

So, can i use a v8 5r55n trans in my car? I've found a couple of those but none out of a v6 yet.

Thanks, jason

Both trans have different bellhousing patterns,so you cannot swap V8's for V6 trans.

thanks for that info

has anyone else repaired their trans by working with the valve body or had a failure experience like mine?

my fluid looked good, and no clues were given other than a delayed drive engagement 2 times that afternoon before it failed.

I keep reading about various springs and servos that can cause these issues the family if 5r55 transmissions, so i may explore those options before dropping the trans.

jason

thanks for that info

has anyone else repaired their trans by working with the valve body or had a failure experience like mine?

my fluid looked good, and no clues were given other than a delayed drive engagement 2 times that afternoon before it failed.

I keep reading about various springs and servos that can cause these issues the family if 5r55 transmissions, so i may explore those options before dropping the trans.

jason

The 5R55S and 5R55N are not compatible. Sounds like your problem is the solenoid pack. Not too tough of a job, but messy. You will also need to find a way to refill the trans when you're done. I did it but had access to a lift. IIRC, there is a bolt holding in the pack that was a bear to get out.

that's what I was thinking at first, and i bought a remanufactured/tested one from 800700trans, but it didn't fix it.

I took off the valve body last night and I can't find any broken springs in the servos (i was suspecting the forward drive servo), so now i'm at a loss as to what it is.

I guess i'm going to have to get a junkyard trans.

that's what I was thinking at first, and i bought a remanufactured/tested one from 800700trans, but it didn't fix it.

I took off the valve body last night and I can't find any broken springs in the servos (i was suspecting the forward drive servo), so now i'm at a loss as to what it is.

I guess i'm going to have to get a junkyard trans.

Not the valve body, the solenoid pack. It's a unit that plugs into the trans, below the valve body.

I understand what the solenoid block is, and I bought and tried a remanufactured one without success.

Has anyone else successfully trouble-shooted a valve body and/or solenoid problem? I still think i'm having a forward engagement pressure problem.

My trans had been rebuilt before, so i'm thinking that something was overlooked. I've read that you can have problems like this if you screw up the gasket and/or tightening sequence on the valve body, etc..

i'll keep trying to mess with it until i go get my junkyard unit during the middle of next week.

thanks, jason

Members online

No members online now.
Back