'56 Premier Coupe-What's it worth?

JDMarquis

New LVC Member
Reaction score
In a little town in North Alabama, there are a couple of old car dealerships. Most are junkywards, but one has restored and formerly restored hot-rods and muscle cars rusting away on the lot, which is boxed in by the hwy., an owner-build "house," a metal workship, and an old rusty Pete car-hauler. The owner of the business looks like an old-time member of the local outlaw mc club.

Anyways, about four years ago, this lot had a '56 Lincoln Premier 2-door sitting by the road. Black w/ red roof, black and red interior. The paint was faded and the driver's seat had a few tears, but the car was basically solid. The owner said it ran, and the undercarriage looked good too, with the basically minimal surface rust you'd expect on a 50 year old car. He said $5k, but I was in college and didn't bother to make an offer.

Last month I drove by and stopped, planning to inquire about the Lincoln. To my surprise it was on the lot, but in a different location that could not be seen from the road. The car basically looked the same, although there is now a significant amount of surface rust on the trunk, a few pinholes in the rockers, rusty exhaust/bumper ends, etc. It really doesn't look like the car sat outside for the past four years, but maybe it did. The owner said it ran, but I didn't ask any other Qs b/c I got bitched at for pulling up the carpet to check the floors for rust (even though I put it back as it was).

What do these cars go for? I know it's hard to tell w/out photos or seeing in person, but is there a ballpark? With the work it would need I would not pay the $5k asking price, so what should I offer? To be honest, it probably doesn't matter, b/c this is the guy that scours the countryside for deals and then waits for someone to feel sorry for the car rusting away and pay an exhorbitant amount, so I doubt it's negotiable, but I'd still like to know what you would offer! Thanks for any input.

Jonathan

John, Sounds like it just might be a rust bucket.
If you want a 56 2door hardtop, on this site www.thelincolnforum.net
Under for sale", a guy is selling a few Lincolns, and one of them is a 56 Premier lavender coupe.
I think the heading to the post is "Selling Lincoln collection".
Email him from the site and I guess he could give you more info on the car.
He did say they are located in Kansas, and have been stored in a barn.
"Barn finds" can sometimes really be too your advantage and, they usually turn out nice.
I remember my red convertible was a barn find a few years ago.
I think it turned out great.
Bob.

Bob,

Thanks for the reply & info. I'll check out the Lincoln Forum.

Btw, your Lincoln looks great-nice work!

Jonathan

John,

I purchased a 1954 Lincoln capri 2dr from a local junk yard. It was sitting in the field for about 10 years. This is south carolina so the car had a few rust spots but nothing that a few small patch panels wont fix. The car runs but it rolled down a hill and hit a tree needs a hood, grill, and bumper. The car is complete other than that. But remember the a car that has been sitting for several years is not dependable to drive and will need some engine work and brake work. All and all I only gave $1000.00 for mine I think $5000.00 is a too high. Nada list the car at $34,000 restored. At most I would give him $2500.00 that is why the car has been sitting there so long the price is too high. Also keep in mind to put the car back to show shine your looking at $15,000 to $25,000 more than likeley. My suggestion is to search ebay, internet, and local papers find a southern car with minimal rust and save some money. We have a local paper greenvilleiwanna.com you could check it out i dont suppose we are to far of a drive from you, but just a suggestion. Good luck in your search. GOT TO LOVE THEM OLD LINCOLNS!!! Justin

My father has a '56 Lincoln Premier, in the Sunburst Yellow color, with white, and yellow leather interior. Nice body, and interior, the engine, driveline, and brakes need some work, but...
I dont really know what its value is, but it needs to be what you are willing to spend, not necessarily what "they say" it is worth.
It is a beautifully designed car. By far nicer looking than the similar year caddy's.
I may be biased, but that is my opinion.
One thing that will make it more desireable is if it has a continental kit, for the spare....does it? If it does, it is a bit rarer.
I know this response doesnt help, but its sometimes nice to know what's out there. If you do buy it, PM me, and I will give my dad your info, if you have any questions, or part needs. It seams to me he has some extra parts, and knows allot of the places to get parts.

Members online

Back