5 Week Old DDM tuning HID KIt Failing...

Lincoln Luebbe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it! Driver's side is flickering already!! This really ticks me off...

I can't find their email address to save my life. But reading their warranty information you basically have to get an approval from them to send the piece back, send it back at your cost, then they have to test it, then if they find a fault with it they will order you a new one. Based off of my 18 day wait time between ordering the kit and it finally shipping I am guess it will be a while before I get my crap back...

Meanwhile my pregnant wife runs the risk of a headlight going out on her:mad:

Anyone have warranty experience with them?

Not good, LL, not good at all. I haven't installed my fogs yet. I actually have an extra set that I was going to offer to sell to LVC'ers since I got OEM HID's, but now I'm thinking I may just want to hold onto them as a backup based on your experience.

I bought a kit off ebay for around 40 shipped(lifetime warr). If anything goes wrong i'll prob just buy another kit. To me its not worth the b.s to return a single bulb or ballast if one fails. Buy another kit and you would have spairs to replace the failed part. least thats what i would do.

That signature looks killer Tru!

They supposedly have a lifetime warranty but I guess we will see how they handle this situation.

Why not spend $80-$100 on a quality digital ballast kit the first time and save yourself the troubles?

^ IF you were to buy two at once..

I would agree sbcaprice if I got more than a months use out of it. This is the fourth brand I have used and I know they fail, if I we were a year down the line I might just buy another set. However I don't think 5 weeks is long enough to justify that.

I have spent $400.00 twice on the Xetronic digital kit in the past. Not interested in spending that kind of money again with about 1 years worth of use out of them. People on here speak highly of DDM especially for the money thats why I tried them.

I agree. Thats why I haven't spent $400 on an HID kit. Check out Umnitza, I was sponsored by them with my tC. They have all sorts of quality kits from $50-$400. I had really good luck with their digital ballasts and their 4300k color was perfect.

I've thought about trying DDM for my fog lights. Not bashing DDM I really think the lifetime warranty is great and spccaprice made a good point in buying two kits. DDM might even offer a higher quality kit than their $40 models. I haven't checked them out yet really

I am just interested in if people have experience dealing with DDM for warranty stuff. Like I said previously I have ran 400.00 kits, 150.00 kits, 120.00 kits, and now a 40.00 kit and they have all failed. I realize they fail and I am not convinced it has to do with the price. So far the best quality kit I have owned was the 150.00 kit.

I am just venting really...

I would agree sbcaprice if I got more than a months use out of it. This is the fourth brand I have used and I know they fail, if I we were a year down the line I might just buy another set. However I don't think 5 weeks is long enough to justify that.

You have a valid point. I'm going on a year so thats what i told myself i'm going to do. But your situation is different having to wait wayyy to long and then have a failing part shortly after install.. If mine had failed in the same time frame i would prob do a return.

Ahh gotcha..sorry just offering some advice about a company I've had good experience with in the past. Umnitza will send you a bulb first to replace it with until you send them your failed one. I haven't had experience with DDM yet so I have nothing to offer.

How does the factory system handle the HIDs? Does it still tell you via the messege center that you have a bulb out?

No, I have never had that problem with HID kits. In my 02 LSE I ran a low beam kit with no errors. My current LS has OEM HID but I am running a kit in the fogs and my wife's MKX has the DDM kit in the low beams. No error messages there either.

I can't believe it! Driver's side is flickering already!! This really ticks me off...

I can't find their email address to save my life. But reading their warranty information you basically have to get an approval from them to send the piece back, send it back at your cost, then they have to test it, then if they find a fault with it they will order you a new one. Based off of my 18 day wait time between ordering the kit and it finally shipping I am guess it will be a while before I get my crap back...

Meanwhile my pregnant wife runs the risk of a headlight going out on her:mad:

Anyone have warranty experience with them?

Same sh#t happen to the kit in the Navigator. It worked good for about a week. Into the third week one of the ballast's starting giving me problems. I would have to smack it, to get it to fire up.
It wound up blowing the fuse for the foglights, i just pulled the kit off the truck. I am just gonna go with LED bulbs instead.

EDIT: I called them up for warranty and they wouldn't send me another ballast. The policy is to ship them back so they can test it out first.
I will just throw the kit in the garbage before i do that.

I got my lows and fogs from v-leds, haven't had a problem yet. 5000k is a nice crisp white from them.

I have umnitza in mine, and for at least 2 years (IIRC). other than a slight flicker sometimes when warming up and a little color fade, theywork just fine. I have the analog kit for the low beams, and the digital kit for the fogs. I paid $125 per set. Got them from this thread:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=35989

No problems with my set. Sorry to hear yours failed so soon

I can't seem to find the HID kits on Umnitzas website right now? I know its early but I'm usually pretty good haha

FYI, a $200 eBay kit is no better than a 40 dollar one. They're all hit or miss.
DDM used to be one of the good brands to buy, but that is no longer the case as they moved production to China or somewheres.

I can't seem to find the HID kits on Umnitzas website right now? I know its early but I'm usually pretty good haha

I would get the next kit locally and cheap as possible. At least you have someone to go and see when the thing fails prematurely. These internet seller can claim warranty all day but what happens when it's actually time to honor it? Buy locally and you have a place to walk into when people decide they don't want to answer phone calls and e-mails.

FYI, a $200 eBay kit is no better than a 40 dollar one. They're all hit or miss.
DDM used to be one of the good brands to buy, but that is no longer the case as they moved production to China or somewheres.

I'm inclined to believe the same thing.

I am just interested in if people have experience dealing with DDM for warranty stuff. Like I said previously I have ran 400.00 kits, 150.00 kits, 120.00 kits, and now a 40.00 kit and they have all failed. I realize they fail and I am not convinced it has to do with the price. So far the best quality kit I have owned was the 150.00 kit.

I am just venting really...

Sorry you are having problems with your kit. I have been running DDM kits for a few years now. If you have a problem, call them up and talk to them over the phone. They are pretty understanding and work with you. Good luck!!

Members online

Back