5 Speed Shift Knob Replacement

Lincoln LS

1. LS4LYFE

LS4LYFE Active LVC Member

Just got a 00 5speed. I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced the shifter knob and how you take it off. Also if anyone knows of a compatible one off another car. Ty PhotoGrid_1555899007437.jpg

2. 04_Sport_LS

04_Sport_LS Dedicated LVC Member

It doesn't just unscrew? Lefty loosey?

My personal preference would be a white retro "cueball" Hurst knob.

https://www.speeddawg.com/hurst-licensed-series/

They show several different shift patterns, and most are available with any thread size.

3. LS4LYFE

Not screw in. Someone told me push in and twist. Just wondered if anyone had done it already.

4. 04_Sport_LS

04_Sport_LS Dedicated LVC Member

Hope this helps:

How do you remove the manual shift knob?

With that... I'm guessing that the LS manual shifter knob is a "one off" design.

If you really want to change it... you MIGHT be able to find one off of some sort of manual Jaguar.

• Like Like x 1
    • heyjewel

heyjewel Well-Known LVC Member

How did you get a Gen 2 manual car? They dont exist in my world.

• LS4LYFE

Who said it was gen2? I put 00 5speed

• heyjewel

Oh, I saw the picture.

• joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

The picture is clearly of a 1st gen. Look at the 3rd brake light and the lack of a keypad on the driver's door, and the tail lights on the trunk lid.

• Like Like x 1
      • LS4LYFE

Japanese 2tone tails throw you off? Lol.

• heyjewel

OK it's a gen1 with the gen2 imitation taillights.

• milehighmikey

milehighmikey Dedicated LVC Member

Since this is a Getrag transmission, you may be able to find something made for BMWs which use that transmission type, but since it is the user end of the shifter, there are no guarantees that Ford didn't make their own contraption up from scratch. However, if you do some research on BMW Getrag 221 equipped cars, you may find that their shift knob doesn't unscrew, either. Good luck. I am glad that I like my 00 LS shift knob, this would be a terrible situation if it was not one that I liked, lol.

• Like Like x 1
        • craigh

craigh Well-Known LVC Member

I have removed my shift knob a few times. You need to push down and turn it 1/4 turn, either way. Then it will pull up. I also have looked for shift knobs from BMW's. The setup is different. Look at the pic I have posted. The top of the shifter kind of looks like a 3/8 socket. The shift knob snaps down over it so putting it back on you just need to press it on and turn in place.

Couple of thoughts. When I first got my LS the clips that hold the shift boot were broken. I had it replaced at the dealership about 5 times when the clips would break. I thought it was poor design, but after working on the shifter myself I discovered that my shifter was installed backwards at the factory. Should you ever take the shifter out you can see a slight bend in it to one side. The bend needs to point to the passenger side or the shifter will interfere with the plastic frame of the shift boot and break the clips. I finally just drilled holes where the clips were and used zip ties to hold the boot down.

For the past 10 years I have been looking to get a short shifter for the LS. There is nothing out there and I have brought home some shifters from the boneyard that I thought might work, but none fit. My calculations are that if a replacement shifter is 1 inch longer from the middle of the socket to the eyelet where the shifter attaches, then throw would be reduced by 40%. If I could find a shifter that worked I am certain it would also need a new shift knob, but that would open up possibilities for aftermarket knobs.

If anyone finds a shifter that will fit the LS, please post it! I would love to reduce the throw on mine.

BTW, the last picture is all the broken clips I found in the console from all the broken shift boot replacements.

105_0165.JPG

105_0163.JPG

105_0168.JPG

105_0162.JPG

• Like Like x 2