5 Speed Shift Knob Replacement

LSE_4_LYFE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just got a 00 5speed. I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced the shifter knob and how you take it off. Also if anyone knows of a compatible one off another car. Ty
PhotoGrid_1555899007437.jpg

The picture is clearly of a 1st gen. Look at the 3rd brake light and the lack of a keypad on the driver's door, and the tail lights on the trunk lid.

The picture is clearly of a 1st gen. Look at the 3rd brake light and the lack of a keypad on the driver's door, and the tail lights on the trunk lid.
OK it's a gen1 with the gen2 imitation taillights.

Since this is a Getrag transmission, you may be able to find something made for BMWs which use that transmission type, but since it is the user end of the shifter, there are no guarantees that Ford didn't make their own contraption up from scratch. However, if you do some research on BMW Getrag 221 equipped cars, you may find that their shift knob doesn't unscrew, either. Good luck. I am glad that I like my 00 LS shift knob, this would be a terrible situation if it was not one that I liked, lol.

I have removed my shift knob a few times. You need to push down and turn it 1/4 turn, either way. Then it will pull up. I also have looked for shift knobs from BMW's. The setup is different. Look at the pic I have posted. The top of the shifter kind of looks like a 3/8 socket. The shift knob snaps down over it so putting it back on you just need to press it on and turn in place.

Couple of thoughts. When I first got my LS the clips that hold the shift boot were broken. I had it replaced at the dealership about 5 times when the clips would break. I thought it was poor design, but after working on the shifter myself I discovered that my shifter was installed backwards at the factory. Should you ever take the shifter out you can see a slight bend in it to one side. The bend needs to point to the passenger side or the shifter will interfere with the plastic frame of the shift boot and break the clips. I finally just drilled holes where the clips were and used zip ties to hold the boot down.

For the past 10 years I have been looking to get a short shifter for the LS. There is nothing out there and I have brought home some shifters from the boneyard that I thought might work, but none fit. My calculations are that if a replacement shifter is 1 inch longer from the middle of the socket to the eyelet where the shifter attaches, then throw would be reduced by 40%. If I could find a shifter that worked I am certain it would also need a new shift knob, but that would open up possibilities for aftermarket knobs.

If anyone finds a shifter that will fit the LS, please post it! I would love to reduce the throw on mine.

BTW, the last picture is all the broken clips I found in the console from all the broken shift boot replacements.

105_0165.JPG

105_0163.JPG

105_0168.JPG

105_0162.JPG

Members online

Back