5.4L in a TC?

CTX-SLPR

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm always in the mood for a mental if not real project so here's the latest since the "blower MkVIII" idea. With the nice large engine bay of a Town Car, is it possible that a 5.4L Mod motor will fit or do you have to be a truck to swallow one of those without some surgery? Follow on would be how hard is it to stuff a DOHC motor in or is a SOHC out of a Mustang a better idea. Finally, how do the trannies in TC hold up to stock power and with some cheap, ie shift kit and good fluid, mods how would they hold up to 300+hp of a mustang or 5.4 motor? Being a Buick man I'm all about going "Fast with Class" Not much beats a Lincoln in the class part, now how do I give it respectable power to play with the Impy's and other 4drs?

Thanks,

I have personally done the DOHC swap so I know that its possible and what it takes. I DONT know if a 5.4 will fit under the hood or not but it WILL bolt up to the K member though.

how hard was the DOHC swap and is it worth it for a daily driver over just a Mustang GT engine?

On the 5.4 question, how much room is there to spare on either side of the DOHC 4.6 motor in the bay since the 5.4 just has a higher deck height, therefore wider and how much hood clearance since a Lightning/Harley Supercharged DOHC 5.4 sounds tempting too.

Thanks,

It was well worth it to do the swap.
Its been a few years since I did it so I can t say how much room was left on the sides.
The swap was basically lengthening a few wire harness' and getting the headers to fit.
I used a stock cobra exhaust manifold on the drivers side and the stock manifold on the passenger side.

Oh and I got a computer that Jerry reflashed.It ran pretty good.

hmmm.... sounds a bit more than a weekend type of swap... how is the power on a stock TC? Enough to keep me satisfied till I can afford a couple of weeks downtime to insert the new motor. I guess the computers are internal flash like the LT-1 and LS-1's are unlike my Buicks eProm system right?

Thanks,

Hey Unstoppable,

I can't find the info I'm looking for so maybe you know, but would it be easier to take a 99+ TC engine and add the DOHC heads, intake and front dress than dropping in a complete DOHC motor? Since the Marauder came with a DOHC in the same platform would it be a slam dunk for changing the motor and harness or is that just as hard as a retrofit MkVIII or Cobra motor?

Thanks,

Anyway, time to get practical about this. Anyone make headers that fit the platform and what would be the best mods to make not only more power but more useful power for a daily driver and still keep the 87 Octane usage? Better mileage wouldn't hurt either, so I guess freer flowing exhauste and a more open intake (a bullit piece fit?) would take care of that. If I don't get much help here I'll try making a new post for it.

Thanks,

CTX-SLPR said:
Hey Unstoppable,

I can't find the info I'm looking for so maybe you know, but would it be easier to take a 99+ TC engine and add the DOHC heads, intake and front dress than dropping in a complete DOHC motor? Since the Marauder came with a DOHC in the same platform would it be a slam dunk for changing the motor and harness or is that just as hard as a retrofit MkVIII or Cobra motor?

Thanks,
In my opinion your best bet is to get a low mileage DOHC engine either from a Mark or a cobra annd swap it in.You could add DOHC heads to the iron block but that doesnt make any sense.The alluminum block is far lighter and plenty strong.

No one makes a header for your application but do like I said in my earlier post and you'll have no problems.

When your ready to do the swap let me know and I'll help you any way I can.

Members online

No members online now.
Back