5.25 comps vs 6.5 comps

LikeNew02

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to put comps in all of my doors.

I have seen that the 6.5 comps require a little more modification of the doors to make them fit.

Is there much of an advantage of using 6.5 comps over 5.25 comps? I guess the 6.5 comps would have a little more bass.

thanks

LikeNew02 said:
I want to put comps in all of my doors.

I have seen that the 6.5 comps require a little more modification of the doors to make them fit.

Is there much of an advantage of using 6.5 comps over 5.25 comps? I guess the 6.5 comps would have a little more bass.

thanks
I have 5 1/4 in my doors but theye are not for bass. 6.5 have alittle more mid-bass then the 5 1/4. If you don't have subs I would go with the 6.5

comps = component speakers = way better than traditional 3-way coaxials.

You are right, a little more mid-bass from the 6.5's.

What I would suggest doing would be get the 5.25 and then get some subs or mids for the lower tones rather than trying to use the 6.5 for bass.

If you don't want to go with the sub route I would highly suggest the following or something similar.

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=15&pid=32&cur=USD

Well i tried em both one with 5.25 jl evo's and with the ones i am currently running are 6.5's MB Quarts. Definate difference in bass response. 6.5 do very well. I didn't like the sound of the 5.25's not enough bass for vocals and instrumentals.

Sound will change a ton based on the brand and your personal preference. Some like the 5.25 and some like the 6.5, just how some like silk tweeters and some like titanium.

Just go listen to as many as you can and see what you like.

thanks

I learned the word "comps" from this site. Since graduation from college in 2003, its tuff keeping up with the new slang.

I would rather not install subs, I am using the 6x9 subs. So I will likely go with the 6.5 comps

I have seen the installation of the 6.5 requires some cutting of the door panels under the metal grill. Does the installation of the 6.5s also require any cutting of the black plastics hole that the speakers fit in?

thanks for the tips.

LikeNew02 said:
I learned the word "comps" from this site. Since graduation from college in 2003, its tuff keeping up with the new slang.

I would rather not install subs, I am using the 6x9 subs. So I will likely go with the 6.5 comps

I have seen the installation of the 6.5 requires some cutting of the door panels under the metal grill. Does the installation of the 6.5s also require any cutting of the black plastics hole that the speakers fit in?

thanks for the tips.
I have put 6.5 in all the time in a 5x7 /6x8 hole w/ no cutting. Just use some dynomat to fill up the empty holes.

The 6.5s will probably hold a little more power also. I had 6.5 MB Quarts comps in the doors of my mustang and they were awesome they were extremely clear. I have been told that comps should be amp'ed to get the better sound out of them. You may want to ask around and find out if thats true and if where you live is like chattanooga you have to ask several diffrent shops to get the right answer. I recommend Quarts or may be Boston if you want to go all out :L

Comps really should be amped. A typical aftermarket HU will put out around 13-15 watts RMS per driver. Most lower end comps will take around 50 RMS, higher end ones like Focal or CDT will take closer to 150 RMS. You won't get near the full potential of them if they are running off the HU.

Most comp(onent)s will sound anemic with a factory stereo. Some sound decent with a factory stereo. (Although I'm not sure how much power the factory Head Unit is putting out.) If you have an aftermarket (or factory) HU putting out decent power on each channel most will sound OK. But, if you want them to sound as good as they can, amp them.

If you're spending the money for components, then you probably want sound quality. If that is the case. Amp them according to their RMS ratings.

My .02 cents.....

6.5" Diamond M's in the doors = SQ
Take the factory 5X7's and trace the outside shape of the speaker on to MDF board and cut a template with a 6.5" mounting hole for you new speakers.

Members online

Back