460 Block freeze

jimbob

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Were recently having a freezing spell here down to -8 centigrade. I have only a little antifreeze in my 460 motor thats been left standing for a while. I wont be able to add any until the weekend, but im worried about the block freezing and cracking. Are these sort of temperatures low enough for it to do that? or would it need a prolonged spell of cold weather?

Im thinking about draining the motor as i dont use it, would this help if the cold spell continues?

Thanks

its takes a surprisingly little amount of antifreeze to provide protection to that temp.

it will take more than an over night drop to that temp to cause any problems in my opinion (although, admittedly I may be wrong here).

I wouldn't drain the engine, as the coolant provides anti-corrosion protection (via the antifreeze), and draining it down cause you to loose that protection.

Its gone below freezing 3 nights in a row now, but only over night. Its been going above freezing during the day, but not by a whole lot. By the time i can add the anti-freeze it will be the weekend, but by Friday the temp will be back into double figures. I dont normally get this problem, as the coldest it usually gets here is just below freezing, and even that is only on the odd night at this time of year. I just wasnt sure of how easily an engine block can freeze up and cause problems.

the block CAN freeze in one nite, but since you have some A/F in it, its not real likely in my opinion.

Also, to freeze solid enough to cause damage, your pretty much talking about having solid ice in the water jackets and such. with only temporary (not prolonged) dips to sub freezing, I dont think it will be a problem.

Here's a chart I found:

680.jpg

Looks like as long as you have at least 20% antifreeze, you should be OK. And those freezing points are where it begins to turn into slush; the temperature for it to freeze solid is a few degrees lower.

Hey thanks guys,

I got snowed in today, we had a whole inch of of snow last night! i just got to check the radiator tho and there is no sign of ice in there, and id figure the radiator would be first to freeze.

Thanks for the info though, its usefull.

your snowed in with an inch of snow??

OMFG... I get 2-3 EVERY nite where I live (unless wind blows from the south or east). We dont get 'snowed in' until we get a storm that drops 10-12 inches, and then its only a 'maybe' on the snowed in part.

We only usually get a light sprinkling of snow, maybe 2-3 nights max a year where i live. The weather people were calling what we had last nite heavy snow!! We only need this much though for it to screw the entire transport system up!! Driving becomes a nightmare, and a lot of the trains usually dont run, hence i stayed home. I take my hat off to you guys who have cities that can function normally when you have REAL snow like you mention.

Yup, getting it from Lake Erie, right? near buffalo??

I live just off the lake effect belt from lake Michigan, so I dont get it too bad. but if I moved about 40 miles away, (to my east/northeast) I would be getting 5-6 per nite when the lake is churinging out the snow

MichiganTeddyBear said:
Yup, getting it from Lake Erie, right? near buffalo??

I live just off the lake effect belt from lake Michigan, so I dont get it too bad. but if I moved about 40 miles away, (to my east/northeast) I would be getting 5-6 per nite when the lake is churinging out the snow

Buffalo gets nothing, Syracuse area is the SNOWIEST large city. Our snow comes from Lake Ontario.

Members online

No members online now.
Back