405 miles per tank

BEATZZ

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm the owner of an 04 LS V-6 that had 32K when I bought it & now has 73K on it, I'm wanting to know if anybody else is getting 405-415mpg per tank, I think this is pretty good. Also, on my recent visit for an oil change, the guy in the pit said the differential fluid needed to be changed, he showed me & it was solid black, he said it would be ok if he just "topped it off" & I could have it changed when I come back the next time because I didn't want to drop $110 for him to do that at that moment. I don't think it's ever been changed, but he suggests that it has to be done every 65K miles, is this true? Also, I'm sure this has been researched, but recently I filled up at a gas station that I don't normally use with 93, but I still had a 1/4 tank left of 93 from my regular gas station, & for the past few days, when I accel around 60-80, the car does 2-3 quick jerks & then it pans out fine. My first thought was the coils, but then again I was thinking that it's a mix of good & bad gas seeing as though it didn't happen until I used that other gas station. I'm thinking maybe I should run the tank down to half to make sure the other gas is out before I jump to any conclusions. Any advice on what might be causing this jerking?

Last edited:
Well...
I know this might sound too good to be true but I recently got 397 miles on 15.6 gallons in my 2002 V8. It was highway, with no cruise control at about 75-80 mph. My wife and I, plus some light luggage. Call me crazy but I am very happy with almost 26 mpg out of a V8!!! Around town usually about 350 miles per tank.

2002 LS, I get 750 kilometers per tank all the time on the highway, now thats gasing up and then getting on the highway immediatly and driving for the whole tank with clothes in the back seat, hockey bag and suitcase in the trunk. now thats driving ONLY on the highway.. i usually travel over 10 hours at least twice a week on the interstates. driving in the city with my foot i get roughly 350 kilometers per tank.. so you guys out there can do the conversion for me im not sure how i know its 1 mile = 1.6 kilometers.

I just got back from a long road trip from California to Texas...500 Miles on roughly 17+ Gallons!

I ran with the A/C on 80+ across Arizona...'03 LS V8 with 22K Miles.

Keeping it slow...nah!

I was making frequent trips to Marquette in Michigans UP making the 5 hour / 300 mile trip last year and if i would keep my v8 under 65...i averaged mid 27 mpg. Now im in Grand Rapids and I average spot on 20.0......but im not known to be all that nice to my ride...and I LOVE my car....:)

I know all too well that lincoln ls grin...

im getting 320 Max!! how are you getting 405? i wish i would get 400!!

Don, take your foot out of it!

lol The Funny Thing Is i'm a speed limit Kinda Guy, any taughts why i only get 300-320? i filled my tank today from empty and it cost me $70 with gas being $4.44

How long is your average trip? I have an 04 V8, using premium fuel and getting 320 ±10 mpt. The problem is that at most I drive about 12 miles at a time. I drive across town and down the freeway to get to work, and that is usually my longest trip. Most of the time I just go to the store which takes about five minutes.

If your engine doesn't have time to heat up to operating temperature, you get deplorable gas mileage. If you have no choice, I guess you can let your car idle in the driveway for a bit to get it up to temp to try to save a little bit of gas if any.

Also, up to 55, your speed limit doesn't matter. Your acceleration does. Below 55mph, there really isn't all that much air resistance. Make sure you keep your revs down when accelerating. And if you drive with SST, get into fifth gear as soon as you get to your speed. The higher gear you are in, the less your engine has to work to maintain speed, the less gas you use.

How long is your average trip? I have an 04 V8, using premium fuel and getting 320 ±10 mpt. The problem is that at most I drive about 12 miles at a time. I drive across town and down the freeway to get to work, and that is usually my longest trip. Most of the time I just go to the store which takes about five minutes.

If your engine doesn't have time to heat up to operating temperature, you get deplorable gas mileage. If you have no choice, I guess you can let your car idle in the driveway for a bit to get it up to temp to try to save a little bit of gas if any.

Also, up to 55, your speed limit doesn't matter. Your acceleration does. Below 55mph, there really isn't all that much air resistance. Make sure you keep your revs down when accelerating. And if you drive with SST, get into fifth gear as soon as you get to your speed. The higher gear you are in, the less your engine has to work to maintain speed, the less gas you use.

Andrew, you're exactly right! I ease away from stops and let the car "gently" shift to get up to highway speed. Once there I drive based on the terrain. If going down hill I let off the gas slightly and then resume once at the end of the decline to make my way back up the upcoming hill.

My last tank I went 397 miles in a 02 V8 with 107K on the ticker.

The most important thing is to get this car rolling with car from a dead stop. That's when I notice the biggest improvement in MPG. I also know when my wife's been driving too! She must keep all of her spare change in her shoes.

On highway I'll easily hit 400 miles on my V8 LS. I haven't had a chance to see how far it'll stretch because I typically only take it to Dallas, TX which is 500 miles away. Austin is 300 miles and change away and traffic is horrible. By the time I get to Austin i'll have about 3/8th to 1/4 tank left.

But I have been able to go to San Antonio ( 230 miles ) and almost make it back on a tank.

On my normal commute I get 440 miles per tank. Thats a mix with some city. My HWY mileage is similar.

hey guys new to the forums i usually get around 400 on average ,01 v8 with around 78k on it

Just got about 400 miles per tank on a 12 hour drive on I 95.

bro Im getting Maybe 310 on a full tank.. how can I increase? Wats el secret!

I got a conti, I've seen mine as high a 465 a tank and as low as 375 a tank. But I drive around the state so my routes are always changing. And the retarded thing is it takes 2 tanks of gas to reset the mileage to empty gauge. So I can come off a 375 to empty, fill up and hop on the highway and pull 26 mpg and the warning light will still come on at 350. When you go fill it up it only takes 13 gallons.

The most important thing is to get this car rolling with car from a dead stop. That's when I notice the biggest improvement in MPG. I also know when my wife's been driving too! She must keep all of her spare change in her shoes.

you let your wife drive your car? :eek:. i'm just teasing. my wife drives my car too,.... when i'm too drunk to drive, lol.

If i let her bang it up enough she can't say anything when it's time for a new paint (and front bumper swap, i already have headlights stored away)

Members online

Back