4.6 Horsepower differences?

red73mustang

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could explain the disparity between the 95-97 260 HP Conties and the more powerful 98-02 275 version and is there an easy retrofit to bump up the older models?

The introduction of the "C head" for the engine is what did it. They move a good deal more air, enough that the same engine made 305 hp when installed in the Mustang. Most of the lost 30 hp in the Conti is due to the tune which is easily remedied with a handheld tuner. The rest is exhaust, and I've considered going with stock GT mufflers one day -- maybe!

It would probably be cheaper and quicker to buy a complete 98+ 4.6 engine; they can be had for around $500. It will take a custom tune to make your computer happy with the newer engine under the hood. The biggest difference is the newer engine doesn't use the variable intake manifold runners since it makes power over a broader rpm range already.

Thanks John, thats great information. I searched extensivley on the web and you summed it up perfectly in 10 sentances. I may have a chance to get a 97 Conti for cheap, but I would be happier with the 1998-2002 model like you said.

ok just to clarify the conti was redesigned in 98 but the 98 was the only year of that body style to have the " B " head engine. 99-02 conti's got the "C"head engine. i have a 01 c head engine swapped in my 98 and im just awaiting the tune. even untuned, its smoother than the 98 engine. a lot better midrange power too.

98 to 99 was the switch to dual exhausts too wasn't it? That is like 10hp.

I never drive our 99 that hard, the whimpy Taurus transmission has me spooked, plus when I want to go fast, that's why I have other cars.

All Contis have a single that splits when it gets to the back. One day I'll look at exhaust work (or even just an electric cutout) but it can't drone in normal driving. I can't have a 4000lb Civic!

I've had much faster cars but had to consolidate so this car has to do it all for me now, or at least as much as it can. The majority of the trans damage happens during normal driving thanks to the clutch-killing mushy shifts, though various years have other parts in the tranny that are of a bad design and were fixed in later versions.

My old 400+ whp AWD family sleeper (yes, the bumper cover went back on after pics):

fmic.jpg

and I can still borrow my brother's "boring" Mercedes CL65 when I get the urge to go fast. A twin-turbo v12 with 600+ hp and 740 torque gets the job done :D

cc1-600.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back