4.0 questions, I searched

Why would you possibly want that much gear with that much engine?

when you only have a quarter mile to get as fast as possible then you want a steep gear...

For those of you not sure, this will not be a daily driver, no where close.

And I may go with 3:70ish after the motor is in, I will wait to see

when you only have a quarter mile to get as fast as possible then you want a steep gear...

This is where we part ways... I want a daily driver. lol

True, but it is harder to keep traction at launch with the motor you are talking about with that much gear. I am all for more gear in the rear, but with that much power coming on that quickly you might be better served with the 3.55-3.73 region.

True, but it is harder to keep traction at launch with the motor you are talking about with that much gear. I am all for more gear in the rear, but with that much power coming on that quickly you might be better served with the 3.55-3.73 region.

Yeah, after reading what they have going on in the jags, that's what I will probably end up with. I am not changing the gears until I do few runs with the stock ones to see what happens. If I feel i can get away with more gear, then I will bump up to the are you mentioned.

Yeah, after reading what they have going on in the jags, that's what I will probably end up with. I am not changing the gears until I do few runs with the stock ones to see what happens. If I feel i can get away with more gear, then I will bump up to the are you mentioned.
With stock you'll likely see a pretty spray of metal parts from the rear. lol

I wouldn't change the gearing on mine.. just find a way to make it stronger. Of course I'm not trying to drag race either.

Recently been mostly lurking, due to time constraints. All regular production pistons for AJ engines are cast and not much good for performance work. And production rods are powdered metal---likewise not the best if you are going to put a load to them.

Superchargers, if they are either Roots or screw-type have a constant displacement and are therefore linear in boost---with RPM being the controlling factor. For almost any performance purpose turbos are to be preferred.:)

KS

Recently been mostly lurking, due to time constraints. All regular production pistons for AJ engines are cast and not much good for performance work. And production rods are powdered metal---likewise not the best if you are going to put a load to them.

Superchargers, if they are either Roots or screw-type have a constant displacement and are therefore linear in boost---with RPM being the controlling factor. For almost any performance purpose turbos are to be preferred.:)

KS

the jag 4.2 uses forged internals and there are folks pushing 630 horse with the stock internals

KS
But why would you go with Turbos when there is already a similar setup to the LS using a factory installed supercharger? Turbos make sense if there is a simple bolt on setup, but since there isn't, a factory setup is the next best thing. (and not a bad alternative by any means)

But why would you go with Turbos when there is already a similar setup to the LS using a factory installed supercharger? Turbos make sense if there is a simple bolt on setup, but since there isn't, a factory setup is the next best thing. (and not a bad alternative by any means)

honestly that is why I am going this route, it makes the most sense for my budget, and needs.

Interesting viewpoint, except there have been several successful turbo installs, and only one successful supercharger install. There might be valid reasons behind that.
I wish this project luck, but won't be holding my breath.

Interesting viewpoint, except there have been several successful turbo installs, and only one successful supercharger install. There might be valid reasons behind that.
Yea, I've seen the threads. It seems the guys that go the turbo route go through hell before it's setup right. If he's successful in doing a full engine swap, it may actually be the easier way to go. Another benefit to the supercharger is the amount of room and tubing generally needed. Also he wants to race the car.

Don't get me wrong, I'm generally a turbo guy... But I'm all for the easiest solution.

please don't I would hate to see you end up in the hospital.

This won't happen for about another 2 years or so, as I am not doing this until I move out and have another daily. But this will happen and for those that stick around long enough they will see it finished.

Members online

Back